Is this the battery?

Asked by Aug 09, 2015 at 11:21 AM about the 2010 Subaru Outback

Car won't start. All warning lights are going off, and I hear clicks when I turn the key. Is this
the battery?

75

sounds like the battery, you could be losing your alternator. you should get the alternator checked. when the alternator went out in my truck, my batteries died in about five minutes.

Best Answer
31,625

Get the battery charged and tested.

14,185

Susan, in case you didn't know, the AAA has a terrific battery service. They'll come to you, check your charging system for free as a member and sell you a terrific battery that's unconditionally guaranteed for 36 months. You probably have this done now, but, at least you'll know this for the next time. Which model Outback is yours and do you have the CVT ? I''ve got a 2010 as well and no problems with the oil burning. I hope you like yours as well, Let me know if it's been easy to maintain and how many miles are there on your car? I have 72,000 on mine and it runs great.

35,195

Most car owners should have a battery charger. If you don't have one you should get one so you can charge your own and save a lot of trouble. It does sound like your car needs a battery and if it is the original then it is 5 years old and due for replacement.

Mark, I appreciate your help. I had my battery replaced yesterday. Yes, I have the CVT on my Outback. I have never used those little paddles on the steering wheel. I should find out more about them. I have not had a single bit of trouble with this car until the battery, and I know that is to be expected after 5 years. I love the car. It has 45,000 miles on it. My only problem is the paint job. I did not know that I would need to wash the bugs off this car within 24 hours or I would lose the paint. The front is now a disaster. I had 2 black Acuras and never had this problem.

14,185

Hi Susan, glad you like your car and that's great that you have not had any problems or issues with your car other than the paint. Where do you live, could that be a factor? We live in Los Angeles and I don't have any problems like this. I normally get my car washed once a week and we park our car outside. 45,000 miles is extremely low mileage for a 2010 model year, did you purchase your car new? And, you probably don't have a long commute? As you know, Los Angeles is a enormous city and it's not uncommon to log 12,000 to 15,000 miles per year. Batteries are usually good for three to five years, so, I think you are very lucky if this is your first replacement. And, they die quickly with almost no warning. You should get your charging system checked to make sure that your alternator is working properly. The battery and alternator work together in a symbiotic relationship in your car. The alternator charges the battery as you drive and the voltage regulator ensures that the battery does not get over charged. So, you have NOT had any issues with oil burning on your 2010 Subaru Outback, correct? I have not had this problem, please share with me any experience on that. There's been issues on the 2013 models with the introduction of a newer engine. FINALLY, the paddle shifters, they're for down shifts or up shifts on your car. Normally, just put it in drive and forget it. If you want to slow down the speed of the car, just pull back the minus paddle quickly and let go, you'll notice that the number on the instrument panel will change to 5 and the car will slow down, pull back a second time and it will go to 4, and so on. If you want to upshift, pull the plus side paddle on the right. I use this a lot on mountain roads descending long grades to help control the speed of the car. In normal driving, you can just rely on leaving it alone. The car does allow for a "manual " shift mode and you can see that on the lever, but, I don't have a need to do that. What's your average fuel mileage? I'm getting around 23 in the city, and 29 on the highway without my teardrop trailer. With the trailer, I'm getting 21 miles per gallon towing on cruise control. Not bad for a Four cylinder engine. Seems like it has plenty of power. Here's a picture of my rig.

14,185

Susan, wow, I'm sorry that you're having such a problem with the paint job especially in the front, that the place you're most often looking at. As you can see, I'm not having this problem. Maybe you've got a defective paint job. I don't know if Subaru of America can help you, but, it's worth a call. The worst that they can say is no. I would definitely make the call, or it certainly would have been better to have raised this earlier.