1997 HONDA PASSPORT WILL GO INTO 4L,4H,AND2H.THE 4X4 INDICATOR LIGHT WONT WORK AND FRONT WON'T PULL.

Asked by Dec 15, 2009 at 07:36 PM about the 1997 Honda Passport

I CAN PUT MY 1997 PASSPORT IN 4H,4L,AND 2H.bUT THE INDICATOR LIGHT FOR THE 4X4 WONT LIGHT UP AND THE FRONT WHEELS WONT PULL.I GOT STUCK IN THE YARD SO WHILE THE WHEELS WERE TURNING I LOOKED UNDER IT AND THE FRONT SPINDALS ARE NOT TURNING WHILE IN 4X4 MODE.WHAT CAN CAUSE THIS PROBLEM.

take the front drive shaft off and put it in 2 wheel drive and get it out of your yard.use your head next time. dont quit moron. go to your topic and read what i posted.

go to your other topic and read what i posted. correction to last post

I dont think you understand.THE VEHICLE WILL PULL IN TWO WHEEL DRIVE.I CAN DRIVE IT ANYWHERE I WANT TO.IT RUNS AND DRIVES GREAT.WHEN I FELT IT SLIDE IN MY YARD ISTOPED AND PUT IT IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE SO (I WOULD NOT GET STUCK)THATS HOW I FOUND OUT IT WAS BROKEN.I HAVE IT OUT OF THE YARD.IM DRIVING IT.(IF I HAD KNOWN THE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE DIDNT WORK I WOULD NOT HAVE STOPPED IN THE YARD0

when it slid in the yard did you shift it on the fly? anyhow cool your jets! im trying to help you, try this unbolt the shaft to the front pinion if you cant turn the shaft while its in 2wd then you need a t-case it should turn freely because it should not be engaged.

i DIDNT LIKE BEING CALLED A MORON NO MORE THAN YOU WOULD LIKE IT.i DID NOT SHIFT IT ON THE FLY i DIDNT THINK I HAD A REASON TWO THE YARD I DIDNT THINK WAS THAT WET AND I KNEW IF I WENT TO FOUR WHEEL DRIVE IT WOULDNT EVEN SPIN.i WASNT MUD RIDING OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT I WAS JUST GONNA DRIVE DOWN TO THE DOG KENNELL.aND REALIZED I WAS GONNA TEAR THE YARD UP IN TWO WHEEL.YOU SAY TO TAKE OUT THE FRONT AXLE AND SEE IF ITS ENGAGED.HOW WILL THAT HELP CAUSE IF IT WAS ENGAGED IT WOULD BE STUCK IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE AND I WOULDNT BE STUCK.THE PROBLEM I THINK IS ELECTRICAL CAUSE THE INDICATOR LIGHT INSIDE THAT TELLS YOU WHEN ITS IN FOUR WHEEL DRIVE IS NOT ON EVEN WHEN I SHIFT IT INTO FWD.

no i did not take out the axle. unbolt the driveshaft to the front axle in 2wd. if the driveshaft does not turn by hand, then the t-case is jammed. it should turn freely in 2wd.the light is connected to the shifter. im not trying to screw ya. shit happens and you dont know when thatll happen.sometimes people in general acsidently takes things the wrong way. i get that alot. dont come down on me because im trying to be helpful. i have 2.5 years of college. i was going to be a mechanic, but that didnt work out. i like cars and i fix my own cars.

Not comming down on you for helping.But calling somebody a moron isnt very helpfull.And I also have seven years as a shop mechanic at McCoulloch AMC JEEP.But I have never run into this before.Still if I had it in two wheel drive and the front axles were jammed or engaged .That just means that even in two wheel drive it would have the front wheels pulling also.My problem is the front wheels will not engage at all.Why do all that taking off to check if the fronts were engaged anyway.All you have to do is pick the fronts off the ground ,Put it in two wheel and if the fronts turn free That gives you the same results.because the wheel is connected to the axle the axle goes inside the case where it would be jammed.There for why take the stuff out when turning the wheel will do the same thing and save an hour labor.

now you are getting where im getting at and ill drop the moron crap if you do. is the front axle part time or full time. if its part time, then the sellector might not be engaging all the way in 4wd. i know that cherokes (the little ones) had that when they first came out. other 4x4s may have that too. check there. i wish i could help you a little bit more tonight but i im working toomarrow morning, so let me know after work. see ya.

Im leaning toward that to.It cant be stuck in 2H cause I can put it in all the gears and you can tell that its going in.Thats what I was wondering was,If there is a electronic engager for that year.If so I would love for you to help me find that out.I have looked all over the enternet and cant find out.I even flipped through the owners mannual one page at a time.thats how I found out about the light that tells you that its engaged.I need to find out what if anything is responsible for the engaging of the tranafer case.Thank you very much for your help and any further help will be appreciated.Thanks again for your time.

hi im back. it could be that or it could be part a shifter fork in the case it self that broke. if there is one, some have and some dont.

got it fixed it was a simple relay under the hood.I swaped the relays around and that fixed the problem.Now all I have to do is replace the relay i swaped out.Thanks for your help.Sometimes it just takes a couple of people discussing the problem.Betrween me and you I think us talking cleared my mind a little.Hope you dont mind but I saved your profile incase i need help again.Thanks alot and if I can return the favor let me know.

anytime, by the way if you what i can use on my 84 eagle, let me know. i want to rase it one foot.

Body lift or suspention lift

its unibody, the front is similar to a f150 and the back is like a cj

oh ya by the way if you click on my user name, youll see my email.

15

I have the same problem like you have. when i shift 4WD and no light come up and I did put my Digital cam to record the front shaft.i put cam on the front to see if front 4WD moving.. front is not moving when i saw the video..I see the front on the driver side i see a small hose with a switch or somethings like sensor.. i dont know if this is the problem. i wish if i knew i could help you to tell you but. wish someone tell me if they know what wrong.. now this happen few day ago and i am now getting stuck on the snow on the moutain and the raod hills.very danger.

150

I still havent gotten mine fixed but the other guy that was replying to my post was not any help at all so I just told him I fixed it.I will continue to try to fix mine and I will let you know as soon as I get it fixed.If you find the solution please let me know as well.Thanks for your reply.

15

there are vacuum switches which run by electric to give air flow to a diaphram located on the front axle.. what you have is problems with the sensor switches (not getting vac) or not getting the electric to "turn on". or the diaphram being blown, my 96 shift on the fly is giving me a problem where there is no 4wheel drive at all. (manual trans) the best thing to do if possible is raise the damn thing up on 4 jack stands. if your 4wd light doesn't come on, this means the axle is not engaging. they mount a switch on top on the axle unit which it sole pupose is to light when the axle engages, letting you know of course, you're in 4wd. . since it wont engage, from the vac switches being turned on ,chances are the top switch maybe good but to confirm this, u may have to jump or bypass the swtich, and doing so, note the icon lites up on the dash. on the 96, when u turn the ign key, the 4wd lite will lite up.. but that is just bulb check. the lite lites b/c its getting a feed from ignition not the axle switch. remember that. so basically you know the blub is good if u just turn the key on. if so then get to troubleshooting. I tested the vac. swtiches with ohm meter. they both shud have less than 50 ohms resisitance. nxt make sure u got vac source. going to vac switch. in my truck, i put vac to the large diaphram and presto! 4 wheels spun. so i think its an eletrical problem.. not causing the vac to flow to diaphram to engage 4wd. by the way when i do this, the icon comes on,. neat trick. get a mity vac pump to suck on the large vac diaphrams, both side shud hold vac.if not the unit replace. don go jumping to any conclusons untill to check each item. if u need reference believe it or not, your local library may have the shop books you need to troubleshoot this.