All console lights flicker on and off while driving my town and country 2009 van. It did it twice and just kept going. Help!

110

Asked by Sep 03, 2013 at 01:01 PM about the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country

You have an intermittent ground...clean the end of the Black 1/0 cable from the battery where it attaches to the chassis ground with a wirebrush~

might be time for a brand NEW battery....they only last five years with this new tin/antimony alloy they are made of these days~

110

Battery is only 2 years old but I will check it. Thanks!

8,655

is it the overhead console? Map lights or do the interior light flicker?

110

It's the console lights, speedometer goes to zero, wipers come on, but the van keeps going. Cleaned the corroded battery cable today, hopefully that will help something. :)

8,655

does speedo cluster say NO BUS

8,655

what you have discribed is a bus issue. The network on the vehc. Head light come on. wipers come on. It is set up this way for safety. the BCM(body control module) talks to Front control module over the bus. The FCM controls the lights. So you can see why they come on if Bus goes down. Nothing like having your lights turn off by themself...lol One of the weakest points on these vehicals is the radio. It is hooked into the bus as well. you can unplug it from bus by unplugging the two pin wire at back of radio. you will loose steering wheel audio controls, if you have them. Radio is just a thought. This is where I always start when dealing with bus issue on these vehicals. I hope this helps.......Any questions feel free ask

8,655

has recall J01 been done? corrosion can cause issues w/bus. Ck w/chrysler. They can tell you.

50

Did you ever find out what the issue was? I am having the same issue and it seems that my car is possessed

40

My van did this as well. I replaced the metal battery connectors with lead connectors. Haven't had a problem in over 2 years since this was done. Fixed!!

20

Had the exact same light show crazy gauges on my t&c 2013. For us it turns out it was the blind spot sensor. Dealership mechs first tried the right side sensor and no change, BUT after they also replaced the left side, it was all good. Its been 6 months now and still good.

40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcRL3JFzr5g

10

My 2008 T&C was doing the same thing. All dash lights come on flicker with wipers etc. Tried everything. FINALLY FOUND the answer. Open the drivers door and carefully cut back the rubber boot holding the wire harness to the door.There were a few wires separated but the white wire with an orange stipe was the one causing the dash lights to do that.

20

I have a 2009 chrysler town and country touring my headlights and cluster board goes crazy then it will shut down sometimes it's driving me nuts

I had to replace my TIPM when that happened, Guru ^^

70

Had similar issues with my 2005 T&C with ~100k mi. Gauge lights flicker, during startup speedo and tac needles go max and back to normal, random alert sounds, radio/Nav doesn't show clock time, AC will suddenly momentarily stop and restart, engine seems to stutter for a second and smooth out. Cleaned grounds, replaced battery twice, replaced relays, checked all fuses, pulled electrical plugs on all doors. No changes. Finally cut the battery cables and replaced with after market splices- 'duralast'. Poof- problem gone! $24 fix! I understand there are a variety of problems with the same symptoms, and some owners have spent a small fortune chasing the solution. I wanted to share my solution with others.

I have a 2003 Chrysler Town and country and my headlight switch will not shut off my headlights. They recently started shutting off as if it was auto lights. My dash stays lit up though. Even with van shut off....any suggestions????

70

Amber, cheap first attempt is to swap around the relays in the fuse panel. two common types in there and you can shift them. Then check grounds -I'd start with the one under the fuse panel - you can get to it by removing battery and tray. The other is on the engine block -transaxle. Clean thoroughly. If no luck I suspect you are on to BCM and front module.

I have an '05 T&C. All my lights,gauges and radio would go crazy. I noticed my positive cable on my battery was pulled snug across some metal at the firewall. I isolated it so it was not touching any metal at all. No problems in 2 months so far. I really hope this helps, it was driving me crazy. Good luck & have a wonderful day.

70

Alisoncarver-read these comments carefully. The same symptoms are produced by several different problems. If you have some mechanical ability and are willing to do some detective work you can probably get it fixed and save a lot of $. Prof. Mechanics cannot afford the time to run all the simple things to ground -they need to make a living. If you put a new battery in and the flickering goes away for only a few days and comes back- it's likely in the charging circuit. Checking and cleaning the ground on the engine block / transmission and under the battery box from the fuse panel are easy checks. You can unplug the door wiring plugs ( in the door jams) front and sliders. Check the flickering lights each time. There's a white wire with blue stripe that can be broken and cause the flickering. Look for wear in the wire insulation. My flickering finally went away when I cut the battery cables and added aftermarket splices back to the battery. Try to save the BCM, new alternator , replace the fuse panel, etc. for last. Very expensive trouble shooting. Sometimes works -mostly doesn't.

Had a simmilar issue with my 2012 t&c. Dash would flicker off and back on while driving. Replaced my battery and it stopped happening. Not sure if the new battery fixed it, or just the unplugging to replace the battery fixed the issue.