Here's a question for the Books!

Asked by Jul 23, 2013 at 03:14 PM about the 1992 Volkswagen EuroVan

I have a 1992 Eurovan Camper. When I plug it into house current, everything works great
- battery charges, fridge, plugs, etc. If I use a generator, bam! Nothing works. The
generator is 2000watt - newish - five years old - and a good one. Behind the seat there is
a GFI plug, and behind that is a little transparent box with contacts in it. When I plug in
the house current, the contacts close. When I use the generator, they don't. I think the
problem is in here, but if anyone can enlighten me, I will be grateful!

270

I know which relay you are talking about. I am fluent in German and shall check what T4 Wicki says about this. Keep you posted or email me directly at enrik@shaw.ca.

270

My guess, further to above, either the voltage is not high enough to trigger the relay or the GFI interprets the lack of voltage as a short and cuts out.