95 neon engine stalls around 20miles

Asked by Jun 19, 2010 at 01:34 PM about the 1995 Dodge Neon

I changed the coil and the crank sensor. Car starts chugging and when I come to a stop the engine sounds like its putting up a fight to stay running then it just dies. I can hear sputtering sound coming out of the tail pipe. I have to let the car sit for about an hour before it will start again. I'm also getting a diagnostic code that's telling me the fuel is running lean and found oil on 1 of the spark plugs.  TRaymond1977@yahoo.com

1,105

sounds like you need to replace the O2 senors, start from there. can you hear your fuel pump kick on when you turn the key?

I do hear the pump kick on when the key is turned. Today I did a fuel pressure test and the pressure was 25 psi it is suppose to be 48-49 psi. Today I also replaced the fuel filter and the psi was the same.

1,105

well change the fuel pressure reglutor and see if that makes a differnce. if your only getting 25 psi, then its very possable that the reglutor is on its way out.

1,105

oh and change you valve cover gasket and make sure to RTV it so it doesn't leak, i had the same problem, but with spark plug 2,3 and 4, that the only why to fix it.