Automatic door locks

10

Asked by Jan 17, 2018 at 04:56 PM about the 1999 Dodge Durango

My passenger door and driver side rear door locks
won’t quite lock or unlocked, they just wiggle a
little.  All other doors including rear hatch work fine.  
I tore them apart and put three in one oil on moving
parts hoping they would work but nope.  Any
suggestions?

11,840

sounds like you have 2 lock actuators that are failing.

10

Lock actuator. Ok thanks for replying. I’ll do a search for them. Any idea how hard they are to replace and/ or cost?

10

Oh another question I bought a new thermostat a 192 degree one because heater barely gets warm. I flushed heater core with CLR yesterday got some a bunch of hunk out now my next bright idea is to clamp garden hose on it and flush the heck out of it. What do you think of that idea?

10

I answered my own questions on lock actuator $70 and watched utube video on how to replace it. Expensive especially when I need two. Still like feedback on hooking garden hose to heater core lines and flushing it out?

11,840

you can attach a garden hose but be careful on how much pressure you put into it the core is only made of brass.

10

Hooked garden hose up and started out low pressure slowly increased and each time I did it blew more rust out. It worked great now in the middle of changing thermostat but getting the old gasket off is a real pain, no room. I’m going to get little bits in water antifreeze mix I hope gasket pieces float.

11,840

when your filling just make sure you bled the system good and you should be fine.

10

How in the heck do you get the air filter out? One screw is impossible

11,840

should be clips that hold the top cover on.

10

Behind glovebox?

10

Motor on right then behind ashtray looks like filter box but has 4 screws no clips

10

200,000 miles and this has never been removed

10

Nevmind 99 Durango’s don’t have replaceable cab air filters. I tore into it far as I could without taking out dash. I could feel a filter type thing in the inch hole I was able to pry open after removing all the screws I could reach, I’m going to was going to drill a few holes in it but changed my mind now I’m going to cut a hole in the outer plastic where I can get a look in there then decide holes or rip out filter that I can feel. Just taking the few screws out and gapping it open an inch I can tell there is no problem with fan now to get that air to the vents.

11,840

I thought you were going after the engine air filter! yes that year does not have cabin filter,they didn't show up until early 2000's.

10

That’s as far as I can get it open. I took every screw I could find without taking out dash. Air flow is massive there so definitely cutting out where that white tag is and doing something.

10

I’ll glue and tape or whatever to seal it back up. Really don’t matter looks it’s covered by glove box.

11,840

what are you going after?

10

Something in there is restricting air. Just got done cutting it open and it’s the heater core, plugged full of fuss and all kinds of shit. Vacuumed it out now time to glue,duct tape and thin tin strips with little screws to make sure it stays sealed. Glad I cut nice and shallow, I didn’t touch heater core thank god.

10

Something was restricting my air and they didn’t start adding replaceable cab filters in Durango’s till 2000 models, mines a 99 when I took all the screws out I could without removing the whole dashboard I was able to pull it open an inch and air was blowing out hard but not out of vents. So I cut a 6” by 6” hole and found the heater core in there diagonally mounted and full of fish and all kinds of shit. I vacuumed it out good and held the piece I cut out in its place then turned heater on high and air comes out of vents a lot better. Now I’ve got to glue,duct tape and thin pieces of tin with small screws to put that 6” piece back in.

10

Oops double answered question. I’m new to this app just figuring it out...:)

10

Sorry sjsras I answered question twice and sent Pics it showed they went through earlier but don’t see them now. I’ll try again.

10

Hmm now I see my previous answers. Hope you see them too.

10

Heater core was plugged.