What could be causing my 1999 Dodge Durango to stall while driving?

Asked by Apr 12, 2015 at 09:32 PM about the 1999 Dodge Durango

It doesn't matter where I am, if I am on gravel or tar, or if going fast or slow. It randomly shuts off everything when I am driving and after sitting on the side of the road for 5-10 minutes it starts back up. The crank shaft has been replaced along with the fuel pump sensor. Neither one fixed the issue. I have been reading up on this and it seems there is quite a few people with the same problem but haven't been able to figure out the issue. Does anyone know what is going on? Please help! Thanks :)

8,040

You must be losing fuel pressure, fuel delivery, secondary spark, or primary voltage. ....The evidence starts for each way, fuel or spark, by connecting test equipment, not installing guess parts. When you recreate the condition, it dies, then cranks but wont start, does it have spark at the spark plug ? Does it still have fuel pressure? If you lose spark, is the secondary receiving power from the primary? and back track through the schematic and the involved parts to the battery. If you lose fuel, it can be how the injectors get signal, even if pressure is readable, it has to get delivered. Basics first. ....If it's too much to think about, research, and test ? Use your guess money for diagnostic tests by someone with experience......Review your records and see if somethings getting neglected...........You can find people with issues, sure, but that doesnt mean you verified them on your unit. That is where you are sitting with the tests. Attaching the gauges, using the code reader, running tests with a DVOM meter, and using testers that verify conditions. The service bulletins can be looked up in an automotive database, You can question your dealership service advisors for clues. Tell them the year and month, the vin, the engine and see if they hear this one all the time? Or whether you need test results.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSa... If you have ever had a problem with your 1999 Dodge Durango stalling either while driving down the roadway, at a stop-light or anywhere, use the above link above for the NHTSA department of the federal government for recalls, even if you don't own your vehicle anymore. I have a family member who has one & has owned it since it was purchased brand-new, it began stalling since it was new, first time in traffic on a very busy multi-laned street in Dayton, OH. It was a very scary & dangerous situation, that luckily turned out okay due to my sister's quick-thinking, but could have been death for 2 adult women & 4 children. They have spent a fortune on their Durango trying to find & fix the problem over & over. If you do research on this problem on the net, you will find hundreds, maybe thousands of people's posts reporting history of this problem, but ironically there are NO TSB's out there for that particular problem for 1999 Dodge Durangos which can not be if these vehicles have been looked at for a stalling problems, which indicates to me that the dealerships or someone above them were not reporting this problem in the system like they were supposed to be doing all along all of these years (perhaps the vehicles appeared in the systems when they were checked out but were listed in the system under an irrelevant problem, so that they could avoid listing the real problem. I believe that Dodge has been hiding this major possibly life-threatening problem for years & have hidden it so well & so far no one has contacted the federal government direct. If all of you contact them & report your stalling problem with your present or former 1999 Dodge Durango, Dodge will have to come clean & own up to their problem that they have managed to sweep under the rug & keep hidden for years from the federal government, as well as their customers! You don't have to continue to fight with this possibly life-threatening problem on your own any longer!