2000 Stratus died and won't start up again!!!

55

Asked by Sep 07, 2013 at 10:45 PM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus

One day when I went to start my car it started up then as I went to reach for something it died. I started it started it up again and it ran fine for a few weeks until one day I went out to go to work and it wouldn't start at all. I replaced the Fuel Rally and it started right up again and ran for another week or two. Now it stopped running and I can't figure out what's wrong with it. I've had a few guy friends check it out and they're not sure what it could be but they're not trained mechanics either. I really don't want to sell it and let it go if it's possibly a cheap-ish fix. Please help!

does your key to the car have a black head or a grey one? the reason I ask is the grey keys contain a small chip that sends a signal to car that says yup you are the owner usually factory security equiped models es usually,if security equiped key may need programming. fuel pump is a common issue on these cars too. when in no start condition w a friend tap key and listen to tank, buzzing? if no take a hammer flat side it bang on tank while cranking if it starts pump is junk.

55

It has a black head. No kind of chip in it like I've seen in some ignition keys before. My brother did try hitting the tank then starting it and that didn't do anything to get it starting but he had thought it was the fuel pump but then it sounded like it was working when we would try to start the car up so we weren't sure. Someone else thought it might be the electrical system.

start w the obvious add fuel just cause the guage says fuels in could be outta gas. the neon and stratus,breeze,and cirrus were notorious for lying fuel senders. scan system to see if you have a code present. if you have codes that are multiple 10 plus, or unable to communicate w vehicle ensure key is on is a dead ecm. try this unplug both connectors on ecm, (next to air cleaner) two large connectors inspect for poor connection wet corrosion ect, these cars are also know for poor ecm connections.

55

I know fuel isn't an issue, I completely filled it just a few days before it broke down and only drove it to work a few times which was only two miles away. I'll have to have someone try to do the other part though. Thanks for the idea, I'll let you know what happens and if it didn't work see if you happen to have any ideas. I was just going to sell it since its at a relative's house about an hour from me and it would be too much to have it towed but if it's a some what cheap and easy fix it may be worth trying to figure it out.

40

if my security is on after buying a new ignition what dose that mean

10

On a Dodge Stratus 01 after accident in the front my car won't crank and crank onces and then I cut it off . Now it won't start