2000 Dodge Stratus just died

20

Asked by Mar 20, 2013 at 09:15 PM about the 2000 Dodge Stratus SE

I have a  4 cyl 2.4l DOHC with 172,000 miles. Changed the oil on Sunday and on Tuesday it died while driving down the road after approx. 1 mile.  I tried to let it sit and restart but to no avail, it would turn over very well but would not start.  I replaced the CAM sensor and got it started but it sounds very rough, like its misfiring.  I changed plugs, wires, and the coil today still the same problem.  Help please.

Timing chain or belt out of position...major surgery required...really no way to duck this...though you could verify by finding spark at top dead center- like you might do to verify a timing belt's position for correctness.

20

I checked the timing belt against the cams and they are still reading TDC.

and the firing thing (used to be a distributor, easy to see if it's firin' on one) now goes into a nebulous coil pack and is controlled by semiconductor, our only clue is the cam sensor which the ignition looks at....oooaf technology, will it ever start to be easy again...so now that we know crank and cam are aligned perfectly, there used to be a timing belt driven sprocket called 'the silent cam' which turned the distributor.....nowadays works off of crank sensor and cams sensor....but spark has to happen right then or a minutia ahead of TDC, the only way I can figure it is to actually run it unless there is a silent cam and distributor to look at....help me out-

No need. true, the computer takes care of everything, just line up them marks, cross your fingers, be sure there's gas in the tank.....was real surprised that this was a mitsubishi engine!