2000 dodge dakota 3.9 v6 starts and idles fine when cold after driving 4 to 5 miles runs rough and tries to stall Help!! first code to come up o2 sensor changed, after that cam sensor bank 2 cleared

Asked by Dec 01, 2011 at 04:49 PM about the 2000 Dodge Dakota

after driving my truck 4 or 5 miles,  idle fluctuates and stalls at times.  changed o2 sensor, then cam  postion sensor code 2 came up cleared code, does not come back cleaned throttle body, and all ground connection, changed coil, new plugs, sometimes it back fires and misfires but no new codes come up  Suggestions???

I can tell you my experience. I had the problem with my 2000 Dodge Dakota V8 4wd quad cab almost from day one. While sitting in idle, the engine would race, whether in park, at a stop light or behind someone in a line and yes even driving down the highway with cruise control on. I took it to several dealers and was told by all that they could find nothing wrong, but they all charged plenty to run the codes and diagnostics. A couple months ago was the real kicker! I was at a stop light and behind another car and it decided to race, ramming the car ahead of me not once, twice but 3 times and all while my foot was on the brake! (There simply wasn't enough time to throw the gear into idle). A friend of mine recommended I take it to yet another dealer because they were honest! I took it there and in no time, they found it to be the throttle sensor. And although I had just had the fuel injectors cleaned by a quick lube place, they said to check and see if they actually cleaned them out or just flushed them. (They had just flushed them) and the mechanic said they needed cleaned thoroughly. Between these two things, i have a truck now that runs BETTER THAN NEW! Unfortunately, I received a ticket for failure to reduce speed to avoid an accident, even though I was stopped at the time! I hope my expensive lessons work out for you!

bad tps-throttle position sensor.

3,165

Either the IAC (idle air control) or the TPS.... you can clean the IAC (it's on the back of the throttle body) just be sure not to move the plunger.