i have a 1991 dodge dakota 5.2l v8 the water pump went out on it and i let it sit for 2 weeks now when i try to start it up i have to pump the gas for a minuet thin it will idle really rough and it smells like gas i have not replaced the water pump yet and it ran fine when i parked it any ides on what could make this happen?

Asked by Jan 16, 2016 at 09:54 PM about the 1991 Dodge Dakota 2 Dr LE Standard Cab LB

i have a 1991 dodge dakota  5.2l v8 the water pump went out on it and i let it
sit for 2 weeks now when i try to start it up i have to pump the gas for a minuet
thin it will idle really rough and it smells like gas i have not replaced the water
pump yet and it ran fine when i parked it

how long did u run it with the water pump not working or leaking?

it could be the throttle body injectors. i had one with a similar prob and they were expensive. it had two injectors. now if its fuel injected it might just have an air bubble. good luck

if the water pump leaked for some time and u ran it low on coolant you could possibly blow the head gasket if it gets hot. Even if u do not see water in the oil it might just be a small leak that will get bigger. if you can get it to run take off the radiator cap while running and dont rev the motor and see if the radiator pushes coolant out. there is a chance that it could be an air bubble in the radiator aswell.

also a large amount of steam out of the tailpipe along side a rough idle can indicate a blown head gasket.