how do you remove the rear hatch hinge pins

20

Asked by Sep 13, 2014 at 06:33 PM about the 1975 Chevrolet Vega

I have removed the spring clips but the pins won't budge

which ones? 1..2...3..? click to size up

20

the ones at the roof line. there are two in line, tapered at one end and a flat nail head on the other end. each faces out (taper points toward outside of car)

Ahh, None of the above. Not 1, 2,or 3. Got ya. Ok since the taper points to out, it had to have been installed as a unit, there being no way to use a drift pin to hammer it out. Maybe pull headliner back and see how it's fastened?

.click it

20

Headliner is removed. The hinge components are welded to either the body or the hatch itself leaving the pin as the only removable part. There is room for a long drift pin but you have to make contact on the bullet shaped tapered end and the drift pin alignment cannot achieve a straight approach plus the taper is starting to become misshaped. Any other ideas? Is there a body repair website that might have info like this?

OK. Can you hammer in a small chisel or screwdriver between the head and hinge... Lots of WD-40.. get it out a fraction and use vice-grips, turn and tap out on vice-grips? Even get the pin out that fraction then use drift pin on inside of head on pin? More WD-40 If you can get it out enough to get vice-grips behind head you have it licked. Really ambitious possible...hacksaw head off pin, use center-punch and drill and tap threads in pin..be awfully small bolt to thread in. tossing thoughts

20

Thanks for the advice FordNut. I'm soaking with penetrating fluid as I type.

HEY ALL, had the same problem that voglnoe had. I managed to use a sawzall and extracted the pin. Now i'm trying to figure out where I can get a new pin? Is that something I have to have manufactured? Or can I order this somewhere? Any help on how to get a hold of this pin would be appreciated.