I have a 1964 montclair. The breezeway window wont work. The motor is good. I think the switch is bad and am unable to find one. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Asked by Aug 18, 2012 at 12:46 AM about the 1964 Mercury Monterey

I need a breezeway window switch...any ideas? the car is actually a Montclair. Thanks

130

There is a relay, under the hood on the firewall behind the air cleaner housing. If you can, disconnect the 3 wires remove relay and bend tabs carefully to take cover off. Sometimes you can clean them with electronic cleaner or alcohol. If that doesn't work check a parts place such as Mac's ford parts. Just google there name. You can try googling part # from relay also. That is usually the problem. Don't quote me but I think this relay is the same as power convertible top.

Thanks a million for the info. I think I found the relay you're talking about. Get this, there's a long wire coming off that relay. It has a metal connecter but It is connected to nothing. It looks like it might have been bolted to the solenoid at one time, and when the solenoid was changed it didn't get reconnected. But I don't really know. Have any idea where that wire is supposed to be connected? I really appreciate any and all help you can give. Thanks!!!

130

I am trying to upload photo of mine. If you do not have any other power options, seats, side windows. There is only three wires on the relay, a black wire with faint white tracer, a red wire, these two have stake on type connectors and are black on left side and red on right side of relay facing it from front of car. The third is screwed to center post and runs to starter relay this is about 12 0r 10 gauge black wire. It is connected to a 30 amp circuit breaker on the positive side of starter relay Starter relay is on inner fender near battery, positive battery cable runs to the same side of starter relay as this wire. This wire is hot all the time. To check if current is going through this wire to window relay, connect a test lamp to the terminal on the relay and the other end of lamp to a ground even one of the relays mounting screws will work. If test lamp doesn't light, then the wire is bad or circuit breaker. If this wire is bad that is easy to replace just get heavy gauge wire as it carries a lot of amps. If you have juice to the relay a quick try is tap on gently with small hammer or even screw driver handle.and it may work if so you won't have to take cover off as I suggested before. The other two wire are red to ignition and black to switch. Sorry if I wrote to much I tend to be detail oriented so if you are a car mechanic I gave you too much info. Depending on how many owners car had a lot of DIY short cuts may have been taken. If I can be of further assistance feel free to write. I am new to forum. I don't see the photos. I hope you can

Best Answer
130

Sorry but I want you to have the other photos

130

The last photo hope this helps

I see this is 3 years old, so no one may be watching, but I have what appears to be the same starter relay on my 62 Monterey. Is that small rectangle at the bottom of the photo (at an angle) the circuit breaker? If it opens, does that kill all current to everything on the car? I can't find it explained in the shop manual.

130

What symptoms are you having? I believe that circuit breaker is connected to a relay that is for power windows, rear power breezeway window or convertible top. I am not sure that it would cut off current to entire vehicle. My gut feeling is it wouldn't

Mine is a convertible and someone told me it was for that mechanism. What I'm having is upon trying to start the car, I get a very muted click and then everything electrical is dead. I'd only had it once before but today twice. What has worked to get it going is to disconnect the battery and give the relay/circuit breaker a couple of whacks. The battery connections are good so something is coming between it and the system. I don't know of any thing else there is so I'm thinking it has to be in that relay or breaker. As far as I know, the relay only governs the starter, but I guess it could be in there. I looked in the Service Manual today and neither the relay nor the breaker are even mentioned (at least that I could find). Thanks so much for getting back to me, I'm always amazed at the expertise on the net!

130

Steve, I would use a jumper wire. Touch one end to the terminal that the positive wire from the battery connects to relay. Touch the other end to the opposite large terminal on relay that runs down to starter. Use as heavy a wire as you have for the jumper cable. If the engine cranks with jumper wire the relay is bad. If you don't get much spark while toching jumper wire to terminals you may have bad - dirty electrical connections. You can clean battery terminals and connections to relay and starter. Ground from battery to block could be bad. Make sure all wires are good and connection point at block is clean. Even if you find from the jumper wire test that the relay is bad it still can'hurt to clean up the wire terminals

Thanks. I will try this the next time it fails. The thing I don't understand is why the relay would shut off all lights and everything else. I thought it only governed the starter. 99% of the time everything operates flawlessly.

130

I guess the next question is does it only happen when starting the car or do the lights go off while you are driving

No. Only upon trying to start. It makes a noise like the battery is dead. Once. And then nothing at all and all electrics are out. I'm thinking maybe next time it does it I'll turn on the headlites & then tap the relay and see if that does anything. The lights back on are how I know it's going to start OK.

130

On these old cars it is best not to have any accessories on when trying to start the car. Newer cars when ignition is in start position everything else gets turned off. Not always the case with vintage cars. The biggest draw of power in a car is the starter. If it's an older starter it draws even more. A starter relay is probably about $20.00 and I think auto parts like Advance have a lifetime warranty on them. For your peace of mind you may want to get a new relay. If the battery is good and fully charged it should work, unless the starter is going bad. There are other things to check but start with the basics - good battery, good wires and ground. The hot wire from the battery attaches to the relay and the wire running from there to vehicle gives everything, other than starter power. You can check the terminals on the left side that plug into the firewall. these need to be clean and tight to get juice to the fuse box.

Thank you so much for all your time. I have taken all the connections apart and cleaned them. I removed the battery cut-off switch as I don't use it since I moved down here. There was a little corrosion on the fitting but not much. So all is clean and tight and we'll see how it goes!

Not sure if I'll get an answer post is quite old have a 1964 Mercury Monterey how do I get the wiper switch out and I have a brand new battery on car but something is draining battery and I haven't a clue where to start seems I have 6 wires coming off ignition and on all diagrams seems to be only 4 and when everything is turned off window wipers will work also regulator box is clicking when you connect the battery without the ignition on can anyone offer me any advice please.

130

I may not be much help, I just had knee surgery and can't look under dash. The wiper switch should have a set screw that holds the knob on. Then you loosen the bezel that the shaft goes through. It should come out the back. I assume the regulator is the main one at the radiator support? If it is OEM type it can be cleaned. It has points similar to distributor points that could be corroded. However aftermarket regulators or reasonable. To verify short disconnect positive battery terminal wire and connect a 12 volt test light between the cable and the post. If it lights there is a short. Make sure doors are closed and all accessories are off. I believe you are correct about 4 wires on switch and one is a resistor wire to lower the voltage to the distributor points. Sometime people myself included add an accessory to the car and want it to run only when the key is on so a wire is added to switch wires. Sounds like a hot wire may have been run directly to wiper switch that may let it run without ignition on. Do the instrument panel gauges work? There is a constant voltage regulator behind instrument panel that controls these features. I don't envy you a short is a pain especially if many owners have done things to it. You may try pulling fuses until you at lest find the circuit with the problem. These old cars do not have good grounds the negative cable runs to the block but I have always added one or two directly to the frame. Sorry for rambling. Good Luck

Thanks for advice finally got it sorted was a short traced it back and everything is ok or so I thought car is hunting now tried all usual things to sort it but seem to hit a brick wall every time any advice please