Where is the VIN on a 1963 FORD F-100 Pickup?

10

Asked by Jun 10, 2013 at 05:09 PM about the 1963 Ford F-100

We purchased a gas station on a sheriffs sale and there is a 1963 Ford F-100 pickup in
side.  We have no title and I can't locate the VIN.  Can you help please?

96,925

Drivers door, there should be a small tin plate with the vin stamped into it, the next place is under the hood near the cowl area, you may have to clean it off to find it but it should be stamped into the metal there.

6,675

Nice find, A very popular year for the F-100. A restored one brings big dollars. I wish I could get that lucky. I love old Ford trucks and also old gas stations and collect their memorabilia. Be careful of the Federal EPA though if & when you decide to sell the property or if you do any renovating. If the soil is contaminated from a leaky underground gasoline storage tank, ( the old ones were made out of steel) you'll have to remove the tanks and clean all that up before you can sell it to anyone. I believe that's a federal law. I had a friend who ran into that problem about 15 years ago. He bought the gas station real cheap but didn't know about the mandatory enviro cleanup required by law. He got screwed on that deal. It cost him 10K to clean it up and have the leaky tanks removed. They will check the soil before you can sell it.. Anyway, back to your other problem about the VIN number. It's also stamped on the top of the frame, passenger side, right behind the front wheel and like the other guy said, it's on the cowl, just below the windshield on the passenger side above the heater box and then on the driver side door jam. Good luck with the station and truck. Kenny/ MrBlueOval.

Best Answer
10

Thank you MrBlueOval. We have already had the tanks removed from the ground. We worked with the KDHE and were able to get some funding to help us out. We are waiting now for them to come put in monitoring wells to monitor any contamination in the ground. I have looked around some. Did find a lager plate riveted to the drivers door, but it only has the warranty number and codes for other information. I have looked around other areas on the door, glove box and under the hood, but have had NO success with those either. I will have to have my husband look when he is home from working on the road. Thank you.

30

The warranty number on that door plate appears to also be the VIN. I checked my latest purchase ('63 F100) at this site, and it came back with matching info: http://vinmagic.com/1961-1966-ford-trucks-vin-decoder/

10

THank you that was very helpful link Stengler

10

stengler - I went to this site and it also gave me information about my '63 but if you read the plate on the door it says directly below the warranty number that it is NOT FOR TITLE OR REGISTRATION PURPOSES which is what lead me to believe this is NOT the VIN number.

30

Angie - don't know what to tell you. That's the number that's in the 'VIN' field on the Texas title for this truck. My guess is that this truck is old enough to predate many of the titling regs that various states have, and since this was the unique number of the vehicle that the manufacturer used for warranty ID, then it became the 'de facto' VIN...

6,675

You can also checkout the Ford truck Enthusiast website forum and get correct answers to all your 1963 or any year Ford F-100 or larger questions there at http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/forum40/ Good Luck, Kenny/MrBlueOval

10

MrBlueOval Thanks for the information. I will check there and see what I can come up with. stengler I didn't mean to seem like a know it all, just stating what my plate says.

6,675

Angie, You're Welcome. Glad to help.

30

Angie - don't worry about it - wasn't even thinking of implying that you were a 'know-it-all'. Just thought I'd tell you my experience. Don't know if that works for other states than Texas, and we here are sometimes a little 'different' from the rest of the country..

6,675

Angie, Please mark my answer/s as "helpful" or "best answer" as it adds to my reputation here. Thanks.