my 1958 f100 ran perfect then i didnt drive it for a week and tried to start it and it wont run

Asked by Dec 29, 2014 at 06:21 PM about the 1958 Ford F-100

it tries to start here and there but then it just smokes alot and dies. it wont even run on
starting fluid, to rule out the fuel pump which i checked and it works fine. i cleaned the
carb and checked the float which is fine. it seems to get fuel fine. i replaced the coil and
almost all eletrical stuff like plugs and plug wires and points and set the points to spec. i
checked the timing as well which seems to be in time. im lost.

5,215

Did you also change out the condenser in the distributor?

66,045

What color is the smoke? -Jim

i changed the condenser and distributor cap and coil and plug and coil wires and cleaned up all my ground connections and replaced the sparkplugs and set the end gap on them and the new points to spec. also i got the battery tested which came back good and i also changed out the carb completely which didnt make a difference. i get spark from each plug but it seems to be weak and not consistent. on all plugs ...whitch again all plugs are new and the plug gap is set.

the smoke was like white gray... which may to seem like oil or unburnt gas but all cylinders made a 95 on a compression test. there was no cylinder that was out of wack and again ill say i tested the motor and it seemed to be in time.

5,215

Is the mechanical fuel pump running properly? Like if there's a small rod that presses on the pump actuator, is it in or forgotten and not put in?

yes its all working good.. it wont even run off of starting fluid. im sure its not a gas problem im thiking ignition

66,045

If all cylinders only test 95 PSI, I suspect that it's jumped timing. I realize that this is a low compression engine but 95 still seems too low. HTH. -Jim

its a 223 straight six i heard that is a good reading?

66,045

Nope, I had a chance to research this. Minimum compression reading is 150 PSI at cranking speed. Sounds like she's jumped timing. HTH. -Jim

66,045

Your engine specs are posted on second chance garage.com.

5,095

White or light grey smoke could also indicate a blown headgasket. Remove the oil filler cap and see if it has a white cream on it. If so, pull the heads