My 72 f100 acts like it runs out of gas, particularly on an uphill street. After a few moments it will start up and run fine until the next time. Doesn't seem to matter if the tank is full or not.

Asked by Mar 12, 2014 at 03:21 PM about the 1972 Ford F-100

I believe the problem is that there is something floating around in the tank that sucks on to
the fuel outlet with the added draw of a grade. None of the mechanics I've spoken with
want to deal with the tank and insist it must be some under the hood thing. I little wary of
the gas tank, removing it or trying to root around in it with a coathanger like one
suggested. Got any suggestions on the best way to proceed? Thanks.

97,125

What you are describing sounds like a fuel pump, but you should check the vent for the fuel tank, if it is plugged then the engine will run until the vacuum gets to high and the fuel pump can't overcome it, then there is the little screen on the end of the pickup tube in the tank that can become plugged with sediment from the bottom of the tank, then when it shuts down the sediment drops off and you start all over again. The only sure way is to remove the fuel tank, so you will have to get as much fuel out of it as possible, once it is out then you can look down inside for something foreign inside or a lot of crud, you may want to have the tank cleaned, and if it is badly pitted possibly sealed. But run a fuel pressure and flow test on the fuel pump first.

I know this is an old thread, but my `70 F250 does the same thing. If cruising at high speeds for too long, the motor will start coughing, then die. Checking the carb- there's nothing coming from the squirters. If I keep cranking the motor, it'll start after the bowl gets filled again. Runs fine at lower speeds until I get it on the highway, or rev it out in 2nd gear. I checked the tank and found a round cardboard gasket from a bottle of fuel additive at the bottom of the tank next to the fuel pickup line. I'm assuming it was getting pulled up against the tube when the motor needed as much fuel as it could get.