my dad has a 1977 MGB convertible and were thinking about restoring it the body is in great shape. but how it runs is not so good and he also it the same time wanted to modernize it what engine from today's Vehicles being a small for cylinder would fit under the hood

Asked by Feb 26, 2013 at 10:51 PM about the 1977 MG MGB

I would recommend a MGB forum to see what drive trains are being installed. You'll need the engine, transmission and electric fuel pump and dozens of smaller systems. It's a big conversion in a small car.

this will be an ongoing project for years to come. British Leyland is kinda notorious.

Just put in an original engine, the old BMC B-series engine really isn't that bad, especially since your car would have the later five main bearing type. There are a couple of different choices in cam shaft to choose from and you can modify the distributor to electronics and eliminate the points. If it's fitted with Zenith Stromberg carbs just rip off anything related to emissions and put a couple of properly tuned SU's on it. You can even choose to go for a higher compression ratio if you so choose, the B-series is quite a well tuneable engine. But if you really want to go overboard you can fit a Rover V8 lump in it like a 4.0 litre fuel injected one out of a late model Range Rover, which would require you to address the braking system and the transmission as well as the bonnet but would also greatly increase the available power.

...or you could just buy a MINI!!

I prefer rear wheel drive any day...

@Lars, 69 Dodge Challenger, or the pricey 12 cylinder european jobs...Bently?

V12s aren't pricey, just look at the old Jag XJ12 or XJS V12 :) As for Bentleys, I'd go for a nice early 80s Mulsanne Turbo, not too expensive to buy and they ride like a dream.

and now you dive a kia? tell me it ain't so....okay...beemer?

lars lars lars....a SAAB, they made some dynamite sports cars in their day.

True, but I already have a dynamite sports car in the form of a Mazda RX-7 Turbo II, so I don't really need to add one to my already quite well filled stable :) I drive a BMW to and from work and for more fun daily driving I use my old Range Rover.

Road car. Must be nice, I've got to drive over filled in potholes and dirt, mostly at my home in Clearlake...the MINI is hot happy here and requires constant cleaninng.....oh the zen of it...

I had my mind on this...

The woman or the car? :)

aah, the saab sonnett III, if you listened carefully, you could hear rust eating the chassis away....sporty. I used to know an exchange student from Sweden, named Lars Rosenqvist...and as far as the girl, she's gonna run it off the road if she hasn't got her priorities straight...loved this sporty little car...too bad they woudln't last but a scratch in Wisconsin.

...what has she got in her hand? a red rubber cast of her horsie friend?

Matt, That engine is a pretty good engine once the smog equipment is removed. For a fairly cheap upgrade you could get a Weber 45 DCOE side draft and manifold to really get things moving pretty cheap. Rebuilding the engine and having it balanced and blue printed will make worlds of difference. Once you get rid of the small single carb intake you will get a real difference in the way the "B" can perform. Check out Moss Motors; they offer a RELIABLE supercharger setup that's good for some serious HP. Your distributer should be an electronic pickup, if not look into the Pertronix conversion. If you really want to do a conversion; most people out there will drop a aluminium block Buick/Rover V8 in the MGB.

Rock the stock motor, convert to TBI/EFI, run a turbo, then have fun for cheap.