How do you access the headlight switch on the dash panel of a 1981 Mercury Capri (the pull-push type)?

Asked by Dec 23, 2014 at 06:52 PM about the 1981 Mercury Capri

Headlights had been working fine, then one day when I put on the high beams via the
column stick, the main headlights went out and they and the high beams no longer
work.  All other lights (running, signals, brakes, dome, dash, etc.) work fine.  All fuses
are fine.  I understand the headlights are not tied to a fuse and have a separate circuit
protector on the switch and so I wanted to check it out.  I did a general inspection of all
the wiring and it looks fine.  Also opened up the steering column and checked inside
and al looks fine.  However, other suggestions on what the problem might be also
welcome.
Thanks, Chris

73,875

Check for a burned out fuseable link down by the starter. HTH. -Jim