Steel Fuel and Vacuum Lines

83,555

Asked by Oct 07, 2014 at 01:02 PM about the 1961 Mercury Comet

I’m restoring a 1961 comet and I am need of the performed steel fuel and vacuum Lines for the car. It’s a four door sedan with a 144 engine. Does anyone have a source where I can purchase the performed  lines from?
Thanks
Paul

143,245

Good Luck...and not sarcasm..I mean Good Luck joemom. For a '61 you may have to buy a tubing bender tool and flare tool and make your own...or use rubber all around. I did a Google search, and the only place that I found MAY have used ones, and 50-odd year old lines are not what to use anyway. If you are shooting for all original..back to making your own steel tubing. Otherwise, nothing wrong with rubber vacuum and proper fuel-line stainless steel-braided, chlorinated polyethylene hose.

Best Answer
83,555

I hear you, I had a feeling I was not going to find anything. I could bend them but they never turn out the correct way. I think I may go with the braided stainless hose. What do you suggest I do for fittings where I need to connect the hose to the fuel pump and carb, Maybe a barbed fitting and some clamps?

143,245

Exactly. Barbed so it helps it not to slip and seals with clamp. You got it. Just use slotted, 5/16 or 1/4 head clamps, not spring loaded clamps

83,555

Ok sounds like a plan, thanks for the info and adivse, The car is in paint right now and as soon as its out, that's one of the first things I will be working on.

83,555

Fordnut I decided to have all my lines bent at a engine machine shop instead of going with the stainless steel flex lines. Cost $70.00, go to my garage I posted some photos for you to review. Thanks for the advice abd Happy New Year.