1977 Chevy Nova wont start?

Asked by Feb 12, 2014 at 09:19 PM about the 1977 Chevrolet Nova

I own a 77 Nova and for a while it would run perfect and drive just fine. Then one day I went
to go drive it but it wont start at all. It will crank but not fully start. I have switched the
battery, the spark pluges, the starter. Sometimes it would start but only for a few
seconds.

19,675

Is it getting gas to the carb? If it is Check the distributor cap & button. If these are ok replace the ignition module.

14,335

If your cranking the motor over and it will not start, why change the battery? First check if you have spark to the plugs. Next check if when you pump the gas, your carburetor jets shoot gas into the intake/carburetor. If there is spark at the plugs, the cap and distributor may be good. If there is gas going into the carburetor from the jets, you are getting gas. Next check the timing. Sometimes the di=distributor may turn and put you out of correct timing. Why change the starter if it is turning over the engine? You changed the plugs but did you check if spark is even getting to them? Your distributor cap may be cracked, points burned, or coil bad or wire off. Find the problem before throwing money at parts that may not need changing. If there is other issues, you need to spell it out as to why all these items were changed. This method is called "Trouble shooting". Find out what isn't working and fix it. Boy oh boy will you be upset if it is just a coil wire that is lose.

I think it could be a coil if u don't got points in it no more coil just could be bad cheap and that's a good start for "trouble shooting"