Maintenance/Repair costs for 1973 Chevy Nova (answer needed ASAP)

Asked by Nov 04, 2013 at 10:29 AM about the 1973 Chevrolet Nova

I am looking to buy this specific Nova from someone who is moving cross country Nov
8th,  and I was going through the pros and cons of buying it, the gas would definitely be
a con (350 V8....low mpg) the price of the car itself is a steal! but I was wondering how
much money it would cost for maintenance, parts, and repairs on this car per month. A
few people told me it would be around $100/month for maintenance, but I want more
sources to get info, so if you could help me out and answer ASAP, that'd be great, I
really need to make the decision soon! Thanks!

254,715

It's a 40 year old car, there will be some upkeep. Maybe not as expensive as a newer car with computer controlled switches and things. If you like it, jump on it. As long as there is not rust, I'd buy it. I loved my '73 Ventura.

Alright cool, but how much do you think the maintenance/repairs would be per month, just so I know what to expect...

254,715

Hard to put a number on it. Are you including gas into your costs? I don't. I usually average $500-$1000 a year per car to maintain my vehicles. Some years less, some more.

Well I assume that it's about 10 mpg for a 350 V8 so thats about $50- $80 a month for how much I'd drive it w/ the gas prices where I am, and some other people (mechanics, etc.) said it might be around $100 a month to upkeep and maintain excluding repairs, so I really think it's worth it since I could always resell for more expensive for what I bought it for since it's in really good condition (besides no a/c) and I would be getting it for $3800

I bought my 74 nova 350 30 years ago. I am driving it today. I have had very little trouble with it, It gets bout 17 mpg. Very little maintentence. Just oil changes, battery every 3 years, basic stuff. I had motor rebuilt last jan after driving it 29 years with 170,000 miles on it. I was told it wouldnt have needed the job but the lack of zink in modern oils chewed the lobes off the camshart. I now use tractor oil in 10w30 weight.It still contains zink. I would definitly buy it.