What are the three leads on the back of the stock tachometer.

Asked by Dec 12, 2013 at 09:33 PM about the 1973 Chevrolet El Camino

My tachometer does not work, every
time I try to connect what I believe to
be the wire that goes to the
distributer the car won't start.

72,365

This is just an educated guess but the tach is most likely grounded to the chassis by the tach's outer casing. One is probably illumination, one tach, and if you have a warning light or gauge incorporated on the face of the tach, possibly the third lead is for that. HTH. -Jim

as I recall the white one is for signal from the ignition....the green one is ground...the yellow one is for illumination and the red one is power~

they do vary depending on the manufacturer~ SUN is the one that I was describing ....here's a cartoon for ye~

...well you see that doesn't help....the "roadmap will be in the tachometer box"~

116,435

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=27190 --- wiring diagrams. I don't see the tach wire in these diagrams but I might be overlooking it. Maybe it will help in some way though.

116,435

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showthread.php?t=52963 --- this thread states that the tach wire color for the 73 was brown.

116,435

Are you trying to hook up an aftermarket tach?

20

I put a new fuel sinding unit in the gas tank of my 83 el camino ...my gas hand still dosent register wonder what the problem could be?? ..if anybody could help me with that it will b very appriciated ..thanks

72,365

If it always reads empty it's a bad ground. If it always reads full it's a bad hot wire. HTH. - Jim