the air conditioner in my 81 el camino comes out of defroster instead of vents. is it the vacuum hose and how can I find it

Asked by May 14, 2013 at 02:47 PM about the 1981 Chevrolet El Camino Base

the air on my air conditioner comes out of defroster vents instead of air cond. vents and the hi speed for air is the same for every selection.  could it be the vacuum hose for the air and how do I find the hose

replace ALL the butyl black rubber hoses with Silicone as used on BMW's there are many colors available, from summitracing.com and most good auto suppliers have them too---was going to suggest a cigarette and puffin' it to find the leak, but you'd get a nicotine buzz and get addicted and the smoke would disappear before you could pinpoint the leak, so best replace ALL hoses with silicone..costs a little more but will not crack and leak~