Can you please tell me on a 1995 Ford Probe Se which side is the postive and which side is negative battery cables ?They are not marked.

Asked by Dec 28, 2013 at 05:26 PM about the 1995 Ford Probe SE

My neigbor took my old car battery out and neirther battery terminal cables are marked and I dont want the new battery going in backwards.  I cant find what battery make to purchase either.  I ithink its a 53R3.  Any help would be most appreciated.

The easiest way to tell to look at the cable routes. The positive cable will go to the fuse box. The negative cable will go to the frame and motor. ( it will be bolted directly to the metal of the car). Normally within a few inches of the battery.

The negative terminal for a top mount battery is always smaller. The positive wire should be red and the negative black.

The Ford probe battery mounts on the driver's side of the vehicle under the hood. It looks like the positive cable is the closest to the engine with the battery terminals being closest to the backside of the battery (see photo below) The battery will be marked with a + for positive and a - for negative. Thus the negative would be closest to the left front fender and should be a smaller diameter cable than the positive cable. I would replace your positive cable with a red one or mark it with something red so you don't ever hook it up wrong in the future. Red is always positive with black being negative. Negative always goes to a ground on the engine block or a bracket on the engine. Your positive cable will go to the starter solenoid. A battery can explode if hooked up backwards and batteries are filled with dangerous acid. Be careful and Always wear gloves when handling any car or truck battery. Clean all connections with water and baking soda and a stiff plastic (non-conductive) brush. Good Luck, Kenny / MrBlueOval

Thanks to all three answers I was able to safely install the battery and the car is running great now. I appreciate your help.