1995 Ford Explorer Oil Pressure Drops

Asked by Oct 17, 2011 at 10:00 AM about the 1995 Ford Explorer 2 Dr Sport 4WD SUV

My oil pressure has started dropping at 108K after warming up and at idle. I had two mechanics look at it and the pressure is dropping to between 7 & 5 lbs using a mechanical gauge. It makes no tapping sound when it is this low. I had one of the mechanics drop the oil pan to replace the oil pump and he said the inside looked great. Bearings looked good according to the mechanic no metal shavings in the oil he said it looked perfect. The oil pan looked clean. I have been having a smell of burning anti-freeze and the mechanic replaced a seal on the top of the motor, but he said the top of the motor looks good and no sign of rust in either top or bottom of the motor. Could this be some electrical issue causing this thing to drop oil pressure or some form of vacuum leak? What would you suggest to do next?

185

Does the vehicle idle rough? If so, possibly a vacuum issue if the rpm's fluctuate and could cause light to come on. But, most likely, if you replaced the oil pump and still doing it, the oil journals in the engine may be blocked from oil sludge causing oil to not flow properly throughout engine. My first step prior jumping to an oil pump would have been and actually was is to do and engine flush. Pyroil makes a product that prior to changing the oil, you run vehicle till engine oil is hot. Pour in Pyroil engine flush into old oil and let it idle for 5-8 minutes. This will flush out old build up in journals,tensioners,etc... that a mechanic cannot see. Do Not drive or rev engine, just let it idle! Replace engine oil and filter, I use Valvoline Maxlife oil religously. Not only did I get normal oil pressure but also better fuel economy and engine performance. I do this @ every 30,000 miles and currently have 128,000 with no oil problems.