car don't stay running

Asked by Oct 08, 2013 at 09:19 PM about the 1990 Pontiac 6000 4 Dr LE Sedan

Start Pontiac 6000 and it quits, start it and quits, won't idol. If leave it sit for a while it will start and runs great! We drive it a couple of days and it will do it again. Help! My mechanic is puzzled! This car is a great car but its just started this, maybe 4 times.

Sounds like bad gas. I'd put some sea foam or something in it and try that. If thats not it, I'd Check the alternator and the fuel filter. Hope that helps

Is it the 6 cylinder? These engines had a problem with fuel injectors shorting-out when hot. When the injectors cool down, the electrical resistance will increase again, and the engine computer will re-enable the injector driver. It's a safety built into the computer. Have a mechanic check the injectors with an Ohm Meter. They should all be about the same. If any show a lower resistance, replace the injector(s). If I remember correctly, a good resistance is about 11.9 to over 12 ohms.

Best Answer

Thanks! usually though, I have only driven the car about a mile and then shut off. Then in a little bit I go to start it and it will start and then quit..If I leave it sit for a while then start it and idol it fast then its good for 3 or 4 days??