Why does the traction control shut down my engine and fuel system on my Sunfire?

Asked by Aug 06, 2013 at 06:59 AM about the 2002 Pontiac Sunfire SE

2002 Sunfire. After 15 minutes of idling or driving the trac off light comes on. about 15 minutes later, the engine begins to shut down. I have changed computer, TPS, plug wires, fuel pump, re-flashed the computer and I feel like the dealerships are just guessing at my expense. Any suggestions what to change next?

There is a sensor on your transaxle that tell the ECM/computer if one of your front wheels is spinning faster than the other as on ice or snow. This then locks the frontend together for greater traction. This sensor apparently is malfunctioning if the light comes on going straight down a dry road. What you will need to do is have the computer connected to a diagnostic unit where the trac system can be monitored and pinpoint the problem. It could also be a faulty wheel sensor related to the ABS system. Take your car to a local reputable mechanic and not a dealership.