the front tires has locked up and thier is a loud grinding sound like brakes rubbing together, what is this?

Asked by Apr 09, 2013 at 09:05 AM about the 1997 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

Sounds like a caliper has either come off or dug in to rotor so deep it locked it up. But wait, if it's locked up when does it make the grinding sound?

Wait, I need to go look and see if you have disc brakes on that '97//or do you know? Drum on front?

OK you do have front disc and rear drum..did you not hear any screeching in the past few weeks or months??. It has a little tab on the caliper that is supposed to warn you that you need brakes, have you neglected them? And yes, you have it correct, that grinding that you describe I would say 99.9% chance that is exactly what it is

DavidH25, they are still putting noisers on there so you don't wear you discs to shreds and tells you to tend to your pads (if you aren't deaf)~

the mini has wear on it's discs, while the pads don't wear much...it has a 2mm shoulder and is nearing replacement...think this may be unique to MINI~

Now that is something I never heard of before, a rotor wearing out from ordinary use before the pad does. Yep Judge (hey what happened to Beans?) that is what I meant by little tabs..YO Bonnie?? we can help you if you answer us..please? with sugar on top?

Bonnie? yoohoo...

102,175

Rotors usually last for two pad changes. Grinding sounds on a older car could be caused by a bad caliper puck that won't retract. Another, more rare cause is a collapsed rubber brake hose. The hose acts like a check valve and the puck stays out.

102,175

An easy way to determine if a caliper is locked up is to touch the wheels after a drive. A locked brake will make that wheel hotter than the other brakes.

screeching? can't hear nothing over the loud music. Some people's kids I tell ya~