Groaning/Rubbing sound coming from passenger side area when my steering wheel is angled left.

Asked by Jun 25, 2012 at 12:36 AM about the 1997 Plymouth Breeze 4 Dr STD Sedan

My '97 Plymouth Breeze recently had its transmission rebuilt, but ever since there's been a rather loud and cacophonous sound coming from the right side of the vehicle whenever my steering wheel is angled left. When I turn my steering wheel farther left, the sound begins to come from the left side as well, but a lighter-pitched, more whining sound. And just tonight, as I was driving home from work, it felt like my braking power(my car needs a rear brake job) from my front calipers got cut in half at one point as I braked to round a corner.

It felt like suddenly I had to press down twice as hard to get the same braking power.

My father and I took it on a short drive today, and he said that, in all probability, the CV joint wasn't properly supported when my front end was taken apart to work on my transmission, which caused it to suffer damage as a result and, thus, it would seem that a half-shaft that I had to replace two years ago(the original's bearings were destroyed when my lower control arm fell apart while driving) will need to be replaced again.

What do you guys think of the problem?

263,885

Your father is probably right, the CV joint is shot. YOu also need your brakes replaced. Take it into a shop ASAP to have it repaired, braking issues should never be put off.

263,885

It could also be your pads on the front are so worn down, they are grinding on the rotor, effecting your braking. Either way, you need to have a mechanic inspect and diagnose your issue.

I've had new pads on the calipers in the front for only about a year, now. My rear drums, though, need new shoes. And I wouldn't mind taking my car into a mechanic for diagnoses and possible treatment...if the shops I've taken my car to didn't quote me outrageous prices and tell me a whole bunch of other bunk as well.