The battery light on my '99 Plymouth voyager is on, but can't figure out why. Shortage and/or relay problems?

Alexis Brown

Asked by Oct 09, 2016 at 10:51 AM about the 1999 Plymouth Voyager Minivan

The battery light on my '99 Plymouth Voyager came on a few days ago then ended up dying in the middle of driving. Took both the alternator and battery in to be checked and they said the battery was bad. I put the Alt back on and a new battery in, but light was still on. Replaced the terminals, checked to make sure the belt wasn't too tight or too loose, made sure the wire to the starter was secured, and the light turned off. But the next morning, it came back on and I can't figure out why. Could it be an electrical shortage somewhere? Or a bad Relay? There are no codes either showing up either.

Has your van ever stalled on you before?

Alexis Brown

No, never like it did a few days ago. I have dealt with the battery light before a few years ago, but all that needed to be done to fix it was to replace the terminals. I haven't had an issue with the battery light since then until now. The only things I can think of that would keep the battery light on is there's a shortage somewhere, a bad relay, or maybe the serpentine belt needs to be replaced.

Alexis Brown

I've been seeing a lot of people suggesting to unhook the positive terminal from the battery while the car is running and if it stops, that the alternator is bad. Well, I tried that and it did stop. What confuses me is that we were told the Alt was good when we took it to Autozone yesterday. My brother-in-law suggested I change the belt and if the light is still on, to replace the alternator.