Antifreeze leak due to head gasket leak.

Asked by Jan 29, 2016 at 02:53 PM about the 2000 Plymouth Neon 4 Dr LX Sedan

We purchased a low mileage 2000 Neon for my college son.  It heated up and steamed.  We took it to a reliable mechanic.  He said the head gasket is failing.  The car is not worth the fix.  He suggested using a stop leak product.  My question is would it be better to keep an eye on it for a while and just antifreeze when it needs it, or use the stop leak product right away?

34,135

Use the anti-leak right away. At this point you have nothing to lose. I would try Alumaseal if it were my car. Keep a gallon of water or coolant in the car!

The Mechanic suggested Bar's??

34,135

At this point you have nothing to lose but personally Bars is the last thing I would use. My suggestion would be to try Alumaseal first and then the Bars Leak if the first does not work.

34,135

I am curious as to why a low mileage car is not worth fixing? A head gasket job is not all that expensive. Did you fix the overheating problem? If not the car is doomed to fail and probably very soon.

Not sure. That is what the mechanic told my husband. It is a 2000 Plymouth Neon with 81,000 miles on it. So it is pretty old.

Is Alumaseal for a head gasket leak???

34,135

Alumaseal can stop all kinds of leaks if they are not too big. You need to determine if the car is worth fixing. Get a price to replace the head gasket and surface the head and decide for yourself if the car is worth fixing. First fix the cooling system problem!

But isn't the head gasket problem the cooling problem????

34,135

It may or may not be the issue. Overheating a car can warp the head which can make the head gasket leak. What came first?

34,135

Spend the 3 bucks or so an put the Alumaseal in and see what happens.