Oil leak under a/c compressor bracket.

25

Asked by Dec 28, 2007 at 04:43 PM about the 1998 Plymouth Neon 4 Dr Expresso Sedan

I have an amber colored oil leak under the a/c compressor consistently dripping off the a/c bracket. I removed the oil pan but it's still leaking. It's not the power steering pump as the resevoir is still full. Any similar leaks in this area? NOTE:The car has not been turned on in over a month.

40,265

Are you sure that the leak is not compressor oil from the clutch mechanism inside the compressor? That's what it sounds like to me.

Best Answer
25

I was thinking it was related to the a/c compressor but had no way to verify since the compressor has no resevoir. Will this lock up the crankshaft-a/c belt if the fluid runs out completly from the compressor?

no,it will not affect it.if compressor is leaking ,you need to replace it and vacume system and recharge.any garage shoude be able to do this.if you recharge the old one you are wasting money.i am certifed in auto air.

25

I appreciate the feedback littlehorn and papa, you both hit the nail right on the head. This threw me for a loop since the only a/c leaks I've encountered are freon and not oil. Since replacing the compressor and evacuating the system is costly, I'll just let it leak out until it's empty. I haven't had a/c in the vehicle since I bought it 4 years ago so the summer-time discomfort won't be a problem. Thanks guys!