Put too much sea foam in gas tank, now having problems with starting car.

Asked by Apr 08, 2017 at 04:52 PM about the 1999 Oldsmobile Intrigue 4 Dr GLS Sedan

32,635

so it started ok before???? did it sit long....really just add more fuel to the gas tank

121,205

If you fuel system was really dirty then you may have plugged the fuel filter, I would replace the filter, it's cheap and then add more good fuel to the tank. HTH

Kelly, I had no problem with starting before, but amount of sea foam changed everything. I have new tank of gas and still something is going on. Engine starts after few times.

I will replace the fuel filter. Thanks.

121,205

How much seafoam did you put in the tank? I have used seafoam a lot of times and never had any running or starting problems in my shop. Possibly you may have uncovered a problem that was masked by a dirty system. Might swing by a place that checks codes like autozone, see if something is in memory or shows out of specs.

one bottle . I checked code- camshaft position sensor. I replaced it. Still something.

121,205

One bottle should not have caused you any problems with the tank size of your Oldsmobile, after you replace the fuel filter I would do a hard reset on the computer, then run the drive protocols, it usually takes about 20 minutes of driving the vehicle to complete the protocol, then see if you have a check engine light or if something is in a pending code folder on your scanner.

I never used one bottle per tank, usually 1/3 of bottle. Hope filter replacement will be enough to solve the problem. Thanks for your time.