Interior Ford Explorer passenger door

Asked by Jul 24, 2013 at 05:28 PM about the 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

The interior passenger side of my 1996 ford explorer door appears to be coming off. Is there a way that I can reattach it so that it is not loose anymore?

19,770

I take it to mean the inside door panel, which is made of colored plastic, is loose. Here is what you have to know. The door panel can be popped off with a stiff putty knife. It is held in place with plastic push pins spaced out around the perimeter of the door. There is also a couple of screws, maybe around the armrest and door release handle. These areas receive the most stress so they have screw attachment points which must be removed to take off the door panel. The push pins are held in place by small grooves made onto the inner portion of the door panel. If the pins themselves are bad, they can be purchased from a local auto parts store. The pins simply push into small holes on the door itself. If the plastic grooves on the backside of the door panel are broken, your are sunk. You'll have to purchase another panel. And before you start looking, your local Ford dealership will not have one. No car parts on vehicles over ten years old are stocked. And they are probably not available from fore either. So the junk yard is the nest option. There is a workaround however, it's not pretty, but it works. Place a plastic hollow wall ahchor in the holes on the door itself. Drill a corresponding hole in the door panel where the push pins go. Hold the door in place and insert a sheet metal screw (with washer) and tighten. Like I said, ain't pretty, but it works