Ford Explorer passenger door stuck closed

5

Asked by Jan 14, 2015 at 05:13 PM about the 2000 Ford Explorer XLT

The exterior handle was broken and the interior handle still moved but it does not open
the door. I can put the seat all the way back however I do not know how to pull off the
door panel while inside the truck. Is there a way to open the door using a coat hanger
or tool from the outside? If not could someone explain how to pull of the panel?
Thanks in advance
James

3,445

James, if you can pull the door panel from the inside, it certainly will not be easy due to space restrictions and the amount of room necessary to swing the panel towards the inside of the car and then lift it up. You may be better off trying to get a "slim jim" or find someone who has one, then operate the mechanism with that from the outside in order to get the door open to remove the panel. If you care to proceed trying to pull the panel with the door shut, first problem will be trying to get your finger tips or some type of object under the edge of the panel to pry it towards the seat to disengage the plastic push in retainers that connect the panel onto the door. If you can manage that, you then need to pull the bottom of the panel as far as you can towards the seat and lift it up towards the roof at the same time. If you can pry the panel in, you should not have a problem lifting it up to disengage it from the window weather stripping area. good luck & please let me know how you make out.