is it a switch or a fuse or a blower motor?

20

Asked by Apr 02, 2015 at 08:04 PM about the 1996 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT SUV

Ok so the other day the blowers stopped blowing and/or making noise. But the heat still
comes out very hot just on low it seems no matter how much I turn the fan switch. The
back glowed works and the heat comes on just not the blower. I see the windshield fluid
and the radiator fluid but I'm not sure where anti freeze or coolant would go. Please
help.

33,385

You need to replace your blower motor resistor. Your fan works on low and not any higher. That's the resistor, not the blower motor.

33,385

Okay, wait a minute, your description is very confusing. You say the heat seems to be on low, then in the other sentence you say the blower motor is not working. Turn on your blower switch to HIGH. If blower is not blowing at all, rap on the bottom of the motor with a heavy ratchet. If motor suddenly kicks on, the it's the blower motor that needs replacement.

20

Well the heat still comes out so I'm not sure if that means the higher settings or broken or the blower motor isn't working at all. Cause the heat still comes out very hot but I can't hear the fan. And when I switch it to the defrost setting nothing happens at all. So what should I do.

20

Also where am I supposed to tap on the blower motor?on the inside?

33,385

No. It's under the hood. Here's a video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zasspzTCrSo

20

Which do you more think it sounds like?

33,385

If you have low speed, and not the rest I would definitely say it's the resistor. But if the motor is not turning at all, I would remove that plastic bottle and give it a couple of raps. If she kicks on, then replace the blower motor. Turn everything ON and to HIGH. If you rap it a couple of times, you'll know when it kicks into high.

20

Ok I watched the video...so which plastic cap am I removing and what do I do if it's just the resistor?

33,385

First remove the bolt on the fender that holds the plastic bottle. Once you take the bottle out, you will see the black metal part of the blower motor. If you drag the video and pause it at 3:41, you will see the bottom of the blower motor in the top right corner. Hit that with a ratchet and see if the blower motor kicks on to high. Try this first. All you need to do is remove one bolt for that jug. The first thing the guy does in the video. Post back with results.

Thanks! Tapped on the blower motor (with a hammer) and it works now. What does this mean long term?

33,385

Kives, It means it will last 3 or 4 days then crap out again. You will need to get a new one.

I'm having the same problem with my ford expedition 2oo1 the only thing is that ive changed the blower and the resistor and the blend accurate. it's still not blowing out any heat from the front vents. I only get heat from the back vents. what could be the problem

33,385

You probably have electronic blend doors. The one that directs the air to the front has not opened. Here's a short video...................... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvuPzf0wjEg

6,085

Abby Since you have front and rear climate control the temp blend door in the front air distribution plenum may be faulty, its door may have a broken hinge not allowing it to move with the motor, or the front heater core could be clogged and not allowing coolant to flow through it.

Hello there I changed blower resistor with new one but still same not working at low speed

33,385

Doodkam, I would say that the switch itself is bad then. When you start losing a speed or two, it's generally a bad resistor. But since you just put in a new one, the only other thing that controls your speed is the switch.

Just a question but I have 1994 Explorer and my truck doesn't blow aor and there's no heat coming from it could It just be the fuse?

33,385

Mwestman, Could be the fuse, fan switch, fan motor, or the blower motor resistor. First check the fuse. Next turn your blower all the way to high. Locate the blower motor. Take a heavy ratchet and smack the bottom of the blower motor a few times. If it suddenly kicks on, then you are in need of a new blower motor. If you have been losing fan speeds over time, it will be a blower motor resistor issue. Lastly, if all the above methods haven't given any power back to the fan, I would suspect a faulty switch. Post back with results. Good luck!

15

Where is the switch. I have 99 eddie bauer with EATC with same issue as mwestman, I have replaced blend door actuator, blower motor and resistor. The fan will come on randomly for about 1 min and then die. Relays and fuses are good. I saw in Haynes manual there are Relays behind right front headlight but I have no idea what they are for or which one is what. I have put a lot of time troubleshooting this problem any help would be appreciated