My uncle is thinking about selling his 1990 300zx. My question is it has been garage kept for the last 8 years....would it be best to drain all the fluids out before trying to start it?

Asked by Mar 08, 2017 at 10:41 PM about the 1990 Nissan 300ZX 2 Dr 2+2 Hatchback

I'm assuming he hasn't except for here and there...and what would the value
be for excellent condition and 50,000 miles?  Trying to figure out if I want to
make the investment into it.

19,485

Yes if its been a while do a full fluid service Oil & filter, Radiator flush, Trans fluid & filter if auto and Fuel Filter and brake fluid ect. Air filter and check rubber items like hoses, vacuum lines, belts, it nothing was put in gas take to keep it in good shape I would take it down and inspect it and possible go ahead and replace it (pump). and anything else I did not think of. May pull thermostat or keep a check on it after starting, make sure cooling fans are working.

70,815

Also, remove the spark plugs and squirt some motor oil in the cylinders via the spark plug holes. Then try to turn the engine over by hand. Grab the crankshaft pulley and you should be able to turn it freely with little or no resistance. If you can't turn the engine by hand DON'T force it!! Fill the cylinders up with either Marvel's Mystery Oil or automatic transmission fluid and let it sit for about two weeks. Then try turning it by hand again. I'm afraid the fuel system may be your biggest problem. Was the gas tank full when it was parked? If not you'll want to remove and clean it. If it was full then you'll want to drain the old gas and put fresh gas in. You'll want to clean the fuel lines and clean or replace the fuel injectors, if equipped. If you have a carburetor try starting it without disturbing the carburetor and see what happens. There's a very good chance it'll have to be rebuilt, but you may get lucky. Inspect the brake system very carefully and replace the tires. I'm sure they're dry rotted and unsafe! Your first step is to get it running though and see what you've got. The fact that it's been stored inside is a huge plus!! But expect some "gremlins" until the car gas been run awhile. Good luck with your project!! HTH. -Jim