the 91 pathfinder i drive was running it was starting to tick,had leaks and hole in muffler well this morning i popped the hood to add oil it smelled like gasoline right away.

Asked by Oct 26, 2014 at 07:32 PM about the 1991 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr XE SUV

There was moisture all over a particular section where it was dry the day before. you
should know for months id been smelling gas when I would park in a friends garage.
could never find the source but I never looked under the hood. only around exhaust
and fuel tank underneath. any way I quickly traced the problem to a 4" or so long
heater hose about 1/2" in diameter. it was located real close to the thermostat housing
and connected two sets of what I assumed were fuel injectors. found the hose to
stainless steel tubing connection was really wet and started to bubble
when touched. so I loosened the clamps and cut off the hose as I was in a hurry and
thought "hmm good hose good clamp pressure could only be a cracked tube" plus I
had a length of this hose in my garage. well not only did I make an ass of me to you by
assuming "cracked" when it had just came "loose" but I never did find that extra length
of hose. so I replaced it with a much softer hose. it was much longer but was shaped
like a "W" and with a little encouragement, blood, sweat, & tears it fit like a charm. put
the dist cap back on then it cover. went to start it-turned for a sec before it turned all the
way over- it idled fine-revved it from under the hood & sounded fine. go to drive it & it
flutters a lil in neutral-in gear worse. so I'm thinking must be the almost kinked hose
that was long but "W"ed.  So on the way to my important destination it really starts
bogging out and has almost no power and is idling way low. So I stopped and took a
look. Was gonna temp. clamp the kink open but then noticed a plug wire on the cap
was unplugged hidden inside its boot. Could I have done this?  So fixed that-then
noticed a lil black breather looking thing on the cap. Did I move that? So I moved it
back and forth couple times to see how easy or hard it would be. Not likely I moved it-
unless I knocked it when I gently man handled the cap cover off. so I start it- sounds
like crap- kill it- found a plug wire engine side loose-so I go through all two of them-try
start- sounds worse and the engine won't recognize the gas pedal being pressed-kinda
scary- kill it-found a third cable in the back near fire wall completely unplugged. Now
how could I have done this? Fixed that-try start- still all bad- kill it- found a loose coil
cable engine side-fixed  that-try start-I think I can make it home-halfway home I realized
I was wrong- so I unplugged  a thing or two couple times-try start couple times- sounds
like really high unhealthy rpms for such little travel speed. Now how do I put her back
the way she was-right or not before my mom drives it? Oh yeah it's my mom's baby.
She only drives it couple time a week since she's had it.  
I'm in serious need of a real tech
Please help, Mike
mmsj666@yahoo.com
408-775-2827

59,965

Mike sound,s like it may need new plug,s and wire,s,when there old and brittale,and you touch them they go bad,

59,965

Go out in the dark ,crank truck,and open hood .look around the wire,s you will see spark,s.