1992 pathfinder v6 4wd front main seal leaks. Replaced 2 times, still leaks. I'm pretty sure I installed it correctly. Help!

5

Asked by Jan 02, 2008 at 09:37 AM about the 1992 Nissan Pathfinder 4 Dr SE 4WD SUV

I purchased this pfndr with oil leak. Got good deal. I replaced oil pan gasket and front main seal. Seal still leaked. Replaced again. Still leaks. I can't imagine installing it incorrectly. Is there another possibility that I am missing? Could the crank oil journal go all the way to the front end where the damper and bolt is installed. when I had it dissassembled I noticed a sealer type putty on the front crank bolt. Could it be comming from there? There is no chamfer on the boss where the seal goes. It is kind of tricky installing the seal without a chamfer. I'm lost. It goes thru a court every hour. It is not merely a drip.
                                       Heeeellpppp!

pull off timing cover use black silicone on corners and in ridge under cover,let sit fof 5 min,replace.the corners are a good place for oil tp leak if not sealed.

44,585

Yes, definitely get ahold of a Haynes manual which will show the proper location for sealing these. The front and rear main can be a bugger. It may be possible that the crank itself has worn to the point where the main seal is no longer tightly contacting it. Crank replacement may be necessary. These can wear, especially if the seal has been bad for a long time and it has been "loose" in there.