My car suddenly shuts off and will not start until I cycle the 60 amp ign fuse under the hood.

Asked by Jun 15, 2012 at 02:31 PM about the 1996 Nissan Maxima GXE

The car runs beautifully and will suddenly shut off. Afterwards it will not start without me pulling and replacing the 60 amp ign fuse under the hood. Then it usually cranks right up. As a side note, there seems to be electrical anomalies. ex: When I turn the headlights on it seems to surge the electrical system(the aftermarket radio shuts off temporarily) I wouldn't have a problem with this, but it has started happening while on the interstate in Atlanta.

16,600

When you say; pulling and replacing and fuse, do you mean the fuse is blown? Or simply interrupting the power supply and reinserting the same fuse activitates the system?

The later

16,600

When the car kills, does everything loose power? The radio, horn, lights, etc. Or is it only the ignition system.?

16,600

Check here first. Simply removing or wiggling a fuse/resister around in the fuse box leads me to believe there is a problem with the connection within the box or the hornace connection comming out-going into it. Remove any connections to the box and cleam them well. Do the same for the fuse/resistor connection. You may also want to try bending the prongs of the fuse ever so slightly to tighten the connection. If the item you are removing and reinserting is a resistor, it may be weak. Try replacing it.

It is as if the car stalls. No interuption in electrical power other than the ignition. Again it is an ignition FUSE. I will try the connections idea though.

20

My 2012 Maxima has stalled-out twice after a sudden swerve I made to avoid another car hitting me. Why does this happen ? After I shut the car off, it re-starts readily. However, this is very dangerous ! Both times I avoided the other vehicle hitting me, only to lose power in the next lane....this is troubling and can cause an even worse accident. Ay ideas as to the cause of this sudden engine shut down on the highway after a spontaneous maneuver ?