97 taurus dash break light on when i stop, goes off while driving. what could be wrong?

Asked by Jan 18, 2007 at 01:04 PM about the 1997 Ford Taurus GL

22,270

The first thing you check is the brake fluid level Sim. If it is low you can refill it and the light should stay out. Even if that works you should have your brakes checked to see why fluid is leaking. Other problems could include faulty sensors (unlikely if the light doesn't stay on) and issues with your ABS system. If your brake fluid level isn't low, or if the light doesn't stay off when you fill it, you need to have a pro go through your brake system for you. Good luck!

10

I have the same problem and I think it is the brake vacuum check valve to the brake booster. It is defective and when I accelerate at a certain speed the light goes off. Meaning the vacuum from the manifold at a certain speed over comes the lack of vacuum in the booster which should have built up and held. I also have a harder brake pedal and crummy idle,stalling ect. I think it is not your ordinary check valve either,because I can't see it unless I start tearing apart the console or moving the master brake cylinder. Is it that funny looking box that four hoses of various sizes converge on the dash? Bob.

4,705

The parking brake switches in these get sticky and cause random illuminations. Check our fluid to see if it is low, this can cause the light to come on. The fluid level goes down when your brake pads wear down because it takes more fluid in the calipers to compensate for the lost space of worn down pads. I would suggest that your check your brake pads/shoes to see if they need replacing. Also, if you have drum breaks in the rear, check your rear cylinders for seepage.