I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I think I'm having a problem with the power steering. A few days ago it started making a grinding noise when i turned right, the PS fluid is low, but how do i know if that is the problem or if it's something more serious? The problem is, I am ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS when it comes to cars, car problems, repairs, labor, & fair prices. The other problem is that I'm a young, single mother on a VERY tight budget. How can I find a mechanic/garage in Chicago or the suburbs that is not going to completely take advantage of me?Any advice is much appreciated!!Tiffani

10

Asked by May 20, 2013 at 04:22 PM about the 2002 Nissan Maxima SE

I have a 2002 Nissan Maxima. I think I'm having a problem with the power steering. A
few days ago it started making a grinding noise when i turned right, the PS fluid is low,
but how do i know if that is the problem or if it's something more serious?
The problem is, I am ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS when it comes to cars, car problems,
repairs, labor, & fair prices. The other problem is that I'm a young, single mother on a
VERY tight budget. How can I find a mechanic/garage in Chicago or the suburbs that is
not going to completely take advantage of me?
Any advice is much appreciated!!
Tiffani

106,715

Fill the power steering reservoir to the correct level and see if it becomes more quiet. Join a Nissan forum or two and learn about your car. You can ask forum members about new issues and confirm what the mechanics tell you.

287,275

Also, talk to friends, family and neighbors on who they use as a mechanic and trust with their cars. A grinding noise might also be a wheel bearing.

106,715

Here's some of the forums that I was referring to: - http://www.nissanforums.com/forum_index.php --- http://nissanforum.org/nissan-forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8 --- http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/ --- http://nissanforum.com/forum/

10

Thank you so much for the forum recs. I did replace the fluid in the resivoir, it went back to driving perfectly. I've been checking the level frequently & it's leaking. The forums said it could be 1 of 2 hoses or just a clamp that needs replacing. I wish I knew how to check myself, but I would need to raise the front of the car & it's just not possible. Unfortunately I'm going to have to bite the bullet & bring it in to a shop. Is it dangerous to drive around a few days just topping off the fluid? The leak is not a very fast one, but obviously safety is the most important thing. And of course I also don't want to cause any additional damage to my car. Do you have any advice on this? Again, thank you so much for all of your help so far! It's very much appreciated.