1997 Explorer

Asked by May 03, 2013 at 12:19 PM about the 1997 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT 4WD SUV

1997 Explorer    I have a both a V8 and a V6  AWD  1997 ...
#1  will the transmissions swap with each other ?  
#2  Is there any indicator that AWD is engaged ?  If not, can I add an indicator ?
#3  Is there a way to add 4WD low to the v8 ?  99guspuppet

wow...you're getting into some pretty deep territory...what will be needed is a "master drawing" of all systems overlayed upon one another...if you had some drafting software might help, but identify what needs to be done by taking pictures of the electrical involvement with the transmission, and making diagrams for yourself to refer to 'pon installation~ as far as the indicator is there a "blank" space for this on your vehicle such the architecture of the donor vehicle is identical and all that is needed is an actual light, like from a salvage yard...yes pay attention to all the wiring you'll need, take pictures of everything, with digital, it's only the battery cost, and most are rechargeable, so snap ahoy! as far as installing your guspuppet, take pictures and replicate is my solution~

to judge_roy ... your answer confused me ... are you saying that the main issue with swapping transmissions between the Explorers is electrical ? Are you saying the electrical issues are extremely complex ? 99guspuppet

well to be perfectly honest having never done this kind of business before would think the brain needs to see transmission shiftin' points perhaps am overthinking this these days you cannot brush your teeth without computer involvement...so yeah, wondering about the connections yes, the same vacuum modulator? the same instructions to that modulator? the speed sensors, the oil temperature heat radiation? there is much to think about....sorry 99guspuppet,,,,thought you were a component we must install and take pictures of~

never considered physical size of the units and driveshaft length....that's what I was trying to get technical with sillhuette overlays to check overall size, but they gotta be the same....right?

sometimes all you need is a piece of string to confirm that everything's gonna be alright!