My factory stereo is not working and wont turn on..could there b something wrong with just the stereo part and if so how can I fix myself or check?

Asked by Feb 15, 2014 at 06:24 PM about the 1997 Ford Explorer 4 Dr XLT SUV

30

Maybe the grounded screw or wire came loose?

335

Check fuses... not sure but fuse for radio should also operate the cig lighter/power point and something else. If those are good or it still doesn't work, that year model should be fairly easy to remove the head unit (the stereo itself) and check wires. May be the head unit itself. Will need a volt meter to check the wires, and it should be on 12v or higher dc setting. Back of head unit should show which wire is ground (negative) and which is switched and main positive on a normal system. Not real sure about dash set up on the '97 explorer, but on the '94 ranger (should be close) it wasn't hard to place an after market (one from wal mart, target, best buy, etc) radio in it.

18,280

If you're getting electricity to the and there are no broken wires forget about fixing the radio. There are places you can purchase a stock radio that looks like the one in from the factory.

80

My ford ranger radio has stopped working. Only the clock will come on but cannot be set. Volume control will not work to turn on the radio. It is an 08 so is there a code to turn it back on I had to pull the dash out to change the heater core and when I got it all bask together that was the only thing that did not work.

40

My radio comes on but no sound

60

Shawn i have the same issue with my 1997 ford ranger its pulling up the display it can find radio stations but no sound the speakers seem to be working and the truck still has everything else working sound wise did you find a fix? im curious on finding a fix.

this is bull! my new ranger has a faulty radio, now I must pay for the code to reset the radio???%#@***/!!! time and time again ....... ford y should I suffer? from your factory faults?????? I paid for the vehicle and now I must pay for your faults as if it is an anti virus .....ford I'm not pleased, you created the code, you pay for it.