I purchased a used vehicle in January 2014 and the title states it is a Total Loss Claim. I cannot pass inspection on it and so cannot register it. It runs and drives okay but I am wondering if I am better off junking it but don't know if I can b/c I could never register it? Welcome any advice at this point.

Asked by Apr 12, 2014 at 11:08 AM about the 1997 Ford Explorer 4 Dr Eddie Bauer 4WD SUV

I purchased a used vehicle in January 2014 and the title states it is a Total Loss Claim.  I
cannot pass inspection on it and so cannot register it.  It runs and drives okay but I am
wondering if I am better off junking it but don't know if I can b/c I could never register it?  
Welcome any advice at this point.

1,965

Specifically, why won't it pass inspection and what state are you from? You could also sell it for parts on ebay.

16,030

As mentioned above, why will it not pass inspection. I tend to believe there was a problem with the vehicle, not just a notation on the vehicle it was listed as total loss. Total loss is a term used by many states where the damage to the vehicle exceeds about 60 or 70 percent of it's current value. It good and bad depending on the condition of your vehicle at the time it was wrecked. My 1996 explorer look and runs like it just came off the show room floor. I carry a specific rider on the vehicle because it's current value, according to insurance books, is 2G's. Meaning 1200 bucks damage to the vehicle in an accident (fender bender) and the insurance company is off the hook as far repairing the vehicle. Then they take possession of the vehicle and sell it and their loss is nothing. Find out why the vehicle will not pass inspection and have it repaired.

1,965

I do understand, but here in NY the title will say "salvage" on it. A salvage title is the same as a total loss. The insurance co. paid out instead of reparing it. After the vechile has been sold and repaired in NY it has to be taken to the State motor vehicles for a thorough inspection and if it does past you are good to go. A regular garage can inspect it every year after passing the State. The title will still say salvage on it & it might be hard to get collision insurance or resell, but it can be put back on the road. My Jaguar has a salvage title and has been great to me for 4 years. A cheap way for me to own a car this nice as my purchase price was very low.

16,030

Allow me to ask the question another way. How much will it cost you to repair what is wrong with the vehicle for it to pass inspection? The vehicle is 17 years old. I take it if you can get it to pass you are going to drive it until the wheels fall off and it's value at that point is zero. You probably obtained the vehicle for next to nothing. If it takes a thousand bucks to repair, and you drive it for another three years you got the car for less than thirty bucks a month.