Is buying a 1998 Eclipse RS a good idea?

285

Asked by May 31, 2009 at 09:59 AM about the 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse RS

Like are there maintenance issues, difficulty with modding or parts replacements or anything else there is to know. Im choosing between that and a civic. Let me know what you guys think.

15

personally i wouldn't buy one. why buy a painfully slow RS and try to make it fast when you can just buy a GST or GSX thats comes stock 210hp. it will save you money if you go through the trouble of turbo charging a RS. maintenance is not expensive for either one cause its Mitsubishi Cheap parts. But it is a DSM which means you will always be doing something to it

10

yea dont buy one..ther JUNK. and i love mitsus but only ones with boost. i have a 99 eclipse GSX. I LOVE THAT CAR. you could but a GST but they have touble getting traction, as do most front wheel cars... if you want something to mod get anything with a factory turbo, you cant go wrong

285

Ok thanks guys. Its just that nobody's selling anything other than a GS or RS around here. And I want to try out a NA FWD, else I would have gotten a 300ZX instead. I figured I could just try to get more power out of the RS myself, but maybe that isn't so smart either.

45

if you want to do any work on the car yourself i would avoid the nissan, there is no room for your arms or any mods under the hood

45

Buy a GST or GSX, I had a GS then bought my GST; the difference is night and day. Well worth the extra $2k, insurance will be higher though..As far as maintenance goes most DSM's have tranny issues but if you upgrade the clutch and flywheel you should be alright. Very easy to make power for cheap too.

65

Nah, if you could, get atleast a GS, Rs [ "Rally Sport" ] is the BASE model of the eclipse, the 420a motors never lasted in the rs for some strange reason, Most of them (That i know of) dont have power locks, power windows, AC, or a MOON ROOF lol, Correct me if im wrong on those xD A GS has a 420a motor, which those normally are great, but you can get a GST, which is a turboed 4g63, or a GSX, which is a turboed 4g63, all wheel drive.. Thats the best choice.. you really need to try a turboed one before you go and get a RS or GS, lol but i guess some people dont always have the luxury of having the extra 1-2K$ to get a higher up model =D

135

i have a 97 that is now putting down 320 whp and weighs under 2700 pounds... sure the gst or gsx are capabl of way more hp but i decided to se what i could get out of the 420a motor and it has alot more potential once i have the tranny and axles to handle it

285

Lol this is an old thread now. I sold my eclipse for a 300zx.

Dode the gst and gsx come with stock turbo