Just some general information on the Eclipse

Asked by Sep 17, 2009 at 05:09 PM about the Mitsubishi Eclipse

I am going to be buying a newer vehicle in the upcoming months and was wondering if anyone who has owned a Mitsubishi Eclipse could answer a few questions for me.  I am looking at 2005-2007 range.

1. Is it difficult to get parts for them? Would I have to go to a dealership to get them or can I get them at say UAP? Are the parts really expensive in comparison to GM, Chrysler, etc. vehicles. I currently have a Cavalier so the parts are pretty cheap. I do not want to get a vehicle that I'm spending a lot of money on for simple things like brakes, exhaust, etc.

2. Gas mileage. Obviously the different engine size/cylinders, etc. makes a difference but generally are they good or bad on gas?  What are the better engines?

3. How are they in snow?

4. Is there anything in particluar that they are known for as far as things falling apart on them. Is there anything I should be looking out for when I am looking in to buying one?

Thanks so much to anyone who can give me any info!

i wouldnt get a 05-07... if u dnt want a 2g then go with a 3g... iv had both... i have a 3g now which im in the process of turboin all i need is a fuel pump and a custom downpipe... i have a 03 with 50k on it so thts still like new... idk about sno bc i havent had it tht long but def get a 5spd... gas isnt to bad just depends on how u drive... and their easy to work on and parts arent to expensive either... alotta parts are universal from the 2g if u have the 4cyl so get the 2.4l model v6s suck to mod there alot more $$$

alright thanks a lot. That's really helpful! I will def be getting a 5spd cuz that's what I have now and I'll never go back to auto!

25

2g GSX all the way if your going for something that will do decent in the snow. Its all wheel drive and has pretty good power from the factory. The only thing to be aware of is that it is a DSM and does require a little more love then the newer cars seem to need. A 1g or 2g would be the only 'eclipses' I would buy personally, but thats because I love all wheel drive (I llive in montana) and both the 1g and 2g dsm had all wheel drive options called the GSX. If you are going for something newer and can fork out the extra money look at evo's, all the power of the 1g and 2g plus more, all wheel drive, and doesn't need as much work as often. If you want to know more about dsm's look at dsmtuners.com or dsmsource.com! Good luck and have fun with whatever you go after!

thank you, thank you :)

Just to make sure I understand.. It would have to be a GSX to be AWD. or are there other AWD besides the GSX. I was trying to find something like this on autotrader and sites like that but people don't tend to put this information. Would I be safe just making sure that it's AWD? And what is the difference between the 1g and 2g. Is it just the range of year that they were made? Once again, people are not saying 1g or 2g in their ads. I'm just wondering how I can know what I am getting. Thanks!

OK, I just found my answers. The older models 1990-1999 (1g and 2g) are the only ones with AWD. The 2000 and newer only have FWD. Am I going to have a hard time with FWD in the snow. Right now the car I have is FWD and I get around fine, but it's a Cavalier and they're not the same. The only reason I ask is because I was really hoping to go with something newer and not something older than what I have now.

25

If you can drive fine with a fwd in the snow now, you will be ok with any vehicle really, awd just 'helps'. As for running with a 3g (after 1999), a non dsm, I haven't seen much on them one way or the other, Im strictly a dsm'er so i couldn't tell ya. If you want something for reliability you may want to stay away from a dsm, they are a big pain unless you are ready to spend some money on upkeep, non the less, they are hella fun, and are really cheap and easy to make fast