My 02 eclipse gt's tranny locked up today. What could be the cause?

Asked by Feb 11, 2012 at 10:53 PM about the 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT

I was on the freeway doing about 60 mph. The car started to buck and I pushed in the clutch. the car continued to buck and slow down. Finally the front wheels skidded to a stop. I couldn't get it out of 5th gear. I shut the engine down and restarted it. It then came out of gear. I tried 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. None of the forward gears will work. Reverse works. What could be the cause?

255

I am not sure but if you arent familiar with eclipses from that time era they are very unreliable unfortunately, and if you aren't a tech then it would honestly be best to get rid of it, Take whatever you want from this but from experience eclipses from that time era arent known to be reliable.

Thank you, but your answer doesn't address the problem at hand. If you know the solution please enlighten me.

325

Are the wheels still locked, like can you push the car around?

325

Sorry i didnt read the whole thing, But it sounds like you killed your foreword for 1-5 gears input, or cooked your gears. Drain the oil out the trans and see what comes out, if there is metal like big pieces your trans is cooked.

In reverse, with the clutch pushed in, the car will move. Same in neutral. It won't move in any forward gear...even with the clutch disengaged.

325

You seized your trans, or blew out each forward gear. if you can do it tonight try starting the car in gear if it moves get back to me, if not try getting it to move reving up to 4k and no higher.

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I have to dig us out in the morning.

325

OK, if you need you can message me, but its sounding like you need a trans right now.

I started pricing used trans this morning. Thank you for the answer.

Why my 2003 eclipse I can roll it in every gear without the clutch