Cant "convertible" anymore!

Asked by Apr 16, 2014 at 09:40 AM about the 2005 MINI Cooper Convertible

It has been over 4 years since the last time the roof has worked.  I took it in to find the
problem at the time it broke and they said it was "the computer" and quoted me for
$800.  Being a college student, that amount was just not feasible.  Now I have a good
bit in savings and am looking to fix the roof but I am not sure the last place I took it to
really understood the problem.  So perhaps someone else can help!

The roof works fine to the point of retracting back to sun roof position.  But, when the
button to bring the roof all the way down is pushed, then the hooks on either side do
not release.  The problem is not the sensors in the trunk either...I have tried.

If anyone has words of wisdom that would be greatly appreciated!

22,925

It sounds like a mechanical problem, not a "computer" problem- but what do I know? I can only be suspicious but can not tell you for sure- I am not an expert in 21st Century cars, maybe some other Gurus have experience with these computerized sports cars- when I was in college, my Austin Healey 3000's top had to be taken out of the trunk and assembled like a tent- along with the side curtains- even tho I always got wet before it could be "erected" I must say I preferred that to a power top- it never broke-

You drove an Austin!!! WOW! See....mine is only a "computerized sports car" due to lack of monetary funds to be able to get a beaut like yours! But thanks for the help! Appreciate it! Also, went on Minimania.com website and saw the parts they offer as common breaks in minis...looks like I am not the only one! Maybe these can help: http://new.minimania.com/ss/REPAIR_NM,REPAIR_TOP_NM