93 merc topaz 2.3 idles too fast. 2000 rpm have to keep foot on brake at stop lights.

10

Asked by Sep 29, 2014 at 04:18 PM about the 1993 Mercury Topaz 4 Dr GS Sedan

I get a tps (throttle positin sensor) code but the two screws are frozen in position.#3 and #4 Phillips screwdriver heads won't quite mesh.  Liquid wrench doesn't help. The sensor is made out of plastic. About the only way solutin I can see to replacing the sensor is using a dremil cut off disk to cut away the plastic so I can get a vice grip on the phillips head screws. Am I on the correct path?

97,215

The screws could be Torx screws not Phillips, and if they are Phillips they will be #2. Otherwise you are on the right path about removal if the screws are seized.

10

That worked but it wasn't pretty. I still have the high idle 2000 RPM and a code 22.

10

WHOOPS I MEANT A TROUBLE CODE 12. I get the 22 also but I don't think that would cause the idle problem. There is an idle adjustment screw. Tried that but it has no effect.

97,215

Code 12 is still indicating an idle problem, code 22 is map sensor reading high. Does your throttle body have an idle tracking switch and DC idle motor unit on it? If so make sure the engine hasn't been started for at least 5 minutes, watck the DC motor unit as someone just turns the key on, do not start, the motor should run the ITS out, then back in, very quickly, if not then the motor is most likely bad. Code 22 could be a bad vacuum line to the sensor but usually the sensor is bad. Don't forget to do a hard reset on the ECM when repairs are finished, then do an relearn cycle.

Adjust your ear control valve top pops off little screw on top turn till idle gets smootj

Adjust your egr control valve